Colour coded mic cable clip ons

BazzBass

Soundaholic
From
Down Under
Gear owned
DP32SD, 2488, DR40
I know Rode have a set that clip over a mic cable plug to easily identify which input is for which mic . But they only do them in 4 colours and I want 4 more .
Looks like Neutrik do some but they are for their smaller plugs .
Anything else out there?

Dunno if this would help:

I'm rather routing-challenged and after years of taping colored plastic tape on my plain black XLR cables, I purchased XLR cables on ebay that are made with cable that has colored jackets. They're great - the mic stand with the yellow or orange or green or whatever cable is instantly identifiable at the board by the color of the cable at the input.

There's plenny on there - after much research, I chose a seller called "yovus". Good quality, decent cost, and good choices/assortment. I have a good dozen now.
IIRC, they make regular length ones, patch- and gear-connection lengths, R/angle, yada...even TS and TRS cables/patches...

Last edited:
Reactions: BazzBass
Thing is I have all the cables I need . But you've given me an idea to put a bit of shrink wrap at each end

Thing is I have all the cables I need . But you've given me an idea to put a bit of shrink wrap at each end
At the time, I went with something like this...but heat-shrink would be way better.

Yeah done the tape years ago. You end up with a sticky mess after a while .

There's also plasti-dip. Disclaimer: never tried it on mic cables.

Yeah done the tape years ago. You end up with a sticky mess after a while .
Another route I once went, that worked out pretty good:
I had access to an excellent workshop at the time, in which was a large variety of colors of duct tape - the usual grey, but also black, red, blue, white, yellow, brown, you name it.

I'd put a couple of turns around the body of the XLR at each end of a mike cable, rendering them "color coded" in a barn-jobby kinda way. But it worked...and I STILL have them - no sticky mess!:)

Reactions: Arjan P

New threads

Members online