Compressing just vocals on a DP-03

Brody

Gear owned
Tascam DP-03
I'm having an issue with vocals and wondering how others approach it. The problem is that I have a couple songs where there's a lot of dynamics to the vocals. It's necessary that they be compressed solo. Since the DP-03 only has mastering compression and does not have track compression, I have settled on this kind of time-consuming approach.

1. Export the raw track (as a backup).
2. Mute all other tracks.
3. Mix and master just the vocal track.
4. Export the master.
5. Clear the tracks with the vocals (because I need two blank tracks to re-import the master).
6. Import the master tracks.

This works, but takes a long time, and I find that I have to repeat the whole process multiple times until I've tweaked things just right. Because of this, I'm about to just spend another $150 on an outboard compressor, but I need to sell my unused M-Audio DMP3 to fund the purchase.

But first I wanted to see if anyone has any easier process that I could use?

That is a valid workflow. I outlined using the mixdown/mastering process to create submixes for the DP series. If you have nothing else to use, that works fine. It just takes time.

Sometimes you can back the singer off the mic a bit and see if that helps.

Thanks mjk. Maybe I'll get faster / better at this workflow. Or, the DP-24SD with the input compressor feature is now on sale for just $399 and maybe I'll end up springing for that.

Reactions: -mjk-
When I mix tracks that I didn't cut, I use RX9's Leveler and that levels out the vocal track nicely.

@-mjk- OK just to be clear, is that a plugin you use within a DAW? Thanks for the recommendation

I'm not sure if the DP-03 is the same as the DP-008-EX with regards to this, but I can apply compression at the time of recording a track by going into 'dyn' (dynamics), toggling between channel A or B then switching it to 'on'. You can select compression (or exciter or de-esser) and the instrument in question (in this case, vocals). Once you've recorded that track, you can then switch off the dynamics. I wonder if that's one way to isolate the vocal tracks? At the mastering stage, though, the compression is applied to all tracks, and of course, this is not a method that could be used after the event.

If the isolation/enhancement of your vocal tracks becomes better with the dyn.input cmpr: go for it! On my DP-008EX I used the dyn.FX mostly for interview voice enhancement.
Never used for vocal tracks.

New threads

Members online