Connecting Outboard Gear

Big Craig

Gear owned
DM-4800, DA-3000 Recorder
Hello,
New to the digital mixing world. Can someone explain how do I connect my outboard gear to the DM4800. I have the firewire card and I have a analog card. Im not sure how to physically connect the outboard gear to sends, returns, aux, and busses. If you could explain how I would connect a compressor (just to keep it simple). Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Hello @Big Craig and welcome aboard. A while back @Rockum had posted a an insightful YouTube video that discussed hard and soft inserts (If my memory serves me right). I noticed that the video is no longer available. Perhaps, you can reach out to him. He has always been very helpful. Best of luck!

Reactions: Big Craig
Okay, let's hookup an analog compressor using the analogue Assignable Sends and Returns.
The default setup utilizes Aux 1 thru 8 for the analogue Assignable Sends you'll find physically on the back of your DM4800. You'll route your compressor I/O through these. We'll assume it's a mono compressor for the sake of this example.
So, now you have your compressor I/O setup through Assignable Send and Return 1.
Since the default setup for the Assignable Sends 1 thru 8 are via Aux busses 1 thru eight, your next step is to assign a return channel of your choice, and select Assignable Return 1 as its input source.
Using my setup as an example, I have an EV RE-20 on Channel 9 using Aux 1 on that channel to send a signal Pre-Fade to the compressor via Assignable Send 1, returning from the compressor on channel 17. This way I can record the RE-20 on channel 9 clean and direct, while simultaneously recording the compressed return on channel 17. This works with any effect you choose.
Using the Assignable Sends in this way gives you fast and easy access to your outboard effects on any channel without having to use a physical patch-bay.
I hope I explained that okay. Sometimes when you've been working with this board for awhile, everything becomes intuitive, whereas breaking down the process for someone else can be difficult.
Jack

Reactions: Peter Batah
@J L Bowie I would add to your routine to send the RE20 out with AUX1 pre-fader and then slide the fader for channel 9 down - at least during the time you're setting up the compressor.

OTOH, I use my hardware compressors exclusively through the hardware channel inserts..

New threads

Members online