Copy Projects to PC

Jayson Wonder

From
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gear owned
DM-4800, MX-2424, US-1641
Hello,

A quick search shows no info on this. I have just recently found and installed MXVeiw and have the network connection established. I just want to backup forsafety, is this doable? Any advice is helpful as I do not want to lose my data.

Yes it's possible and I do it often, however it is a bit slow.

I am trying to rememebr the menu as I am not in the studio at the moment. I think, when you have the project window open you highlight / select the project you want to back up then select from the menu bar (under file?) "network backup" when you do this a windows box will open so you can select where to copy it too. However this backs up as a TLbackup so you can't open it with any other software.

You can also export the track files which can be opened in other software, but they need to be rendered or tape mode converted first and te tracks all need to start from the same start position so you can aligen them in the software you want to use. You export track files opening the project on the MX2424, going to the project page, selecting import/export audio, download, and the same windows box will turn up showing where you want it to go.

I hope I remembered this correctly, if it does not work let me know and I will check it out next time I am in the studio.

Alan.

Thanks for your reply Alan,

I took what seemed to be the easiest route which to me was the Network back of the project. It works as you outlined above. It does save it as a .bu file and I have not tried to restore yet but I will.

A lesson I learned while doing the backup was that that (like some other functions) this seems to cause MXView to freeze up on completion of the copy at the confirmation dialogue box on Win7 and the only way out is ctrl+alt-del (I hate doing that). I just killed the process and ran again for each project until I realized I can multiple select all projects and do it in a batch. Seems to work a charm.

I will have to soon try the track .wav export very soon though so. I just was hesitant to convert project yet until all was backup safely.

Appreciate the info.

When exporting track wav files, if the project is a non-destruct project, the reason you have to render the track you want to export, or tape mode convert the whole project is that if you export the tracks from a non-destruct project the track could be made up of several wav files due to editing or several takes. You would end up with loads of wav files and no way of knowing where to place them later. Any edits, mutes or volume automation would also be lost when you place it in a DAW software on the PC.

There are some software DAW's that recognize Broadcast Wav files, these will place the MX wave files in the correct time place in the DAW, however I don't know how it would react to several sections of files from a non-destruct project.

Hope I explained this OK

Alan.

Oh on the second problem of MX-view crashing, I don't have this problem on XP-pro but MX view does crash sometimes, but there is no reason for it, I just relaunch it and it works fine again. It could be a windows 7 thing which I will find out about someday soon when I finally update. Have you tried deleting mc view from the PC and reinstalling? Just a thought. Another thought, does your PC have sleep or screen saver switched on; this could be causing the freeze?

I have been thinking about resurrecting an old windows 98 or 2000 PC just to run MX view, that machine can be networked to the main studio PC for file transfers and backups.

Alan.

Alan,

A very clear and understandable explanation regarding the .wav transfer.

I should try compatibility settings in Win7 and see how it works out.

New threads

Members online