Copying an mp3 backing track onto the tascam dp24sd

ian r

Gear owned
tascam 24dp
i can copy a backing track and inport it into the tascam to save time having to record it
but on play back the levels seem to be very high on the output.
is there anyway of altering the levels for the R/L channels ?

thanks for any help
phil might know

Send your mp3 signal to one of the inputs on the DP and record it on one of the channels. You can set your input levels during the recording process. That's how I would do it.

The DP can't play an MP3 file.

FP

Reactions: ButchA
Playback levels for each track are set with their respective track faders so just turn those down as required.
The R/L meter bars on the far right of the screen reflect what the monitor system is 'seeing', which by default is the stereo bus. The signal level from the stereo bus is controlled by the individual track faders and the stereo fader.
If you're worried about the meters flashing red, this is normal for an imported track which is just touching the max 0dB level. It should not normally be a problem.
If you're finding the track signal is overloading the track EQ and causing distortion, use the digital trim level in the mixer screen.
If you really want to reduce the recorded level, you can do what FP suggested, or bounce the imported track to another track with the bounce source fader(s) or Bounce Master level (shown in the bounce screen via F4) set as required.
The block diagram helps to visualise the different possibilities.

Send your mp3 signal to one of the inputs on the DP and record it on one of the channels. You can set your input levels during the recording process. That's how I would do it.

The DP can't play an MP3 file.

FP

Exactly... Everything is in .WAV format. I have taken some .MP3 backing tracks and converted them to .WAV by using that free software Audacity. Then I can easily import the tracks to my DP-03SD.

Reactions: Felonious Punk
thanks all.. i copy the wav file backing track to the audio folder on the sd card then use import feature on the tascam this saves me recording the whole backing track, i may have to do as phil says and bounce to 2 tracks and alter the levels that way

Exactly... Everything is in .WAV format. I have taken some .MP3 backing tracks and converted them to .WAV by using that free software Audacity. Then I can easily import the tracks to my DP-03SD.
FWIW: I've taken *.MP3 files and used my computer to convert them to stereo *.WAV files, and imported them the normal way to a stereo track on my DP. I'm pretty sure there's places online you can do that.
Perhaps a stereo WAV could be imported to 2 mono tracks, as well?
HTH!

Off topic: @shredd --- I noticed your signature. I have been a RUSH fan since 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, etc... :cool:

Reactions: shredd
With apologies to readers for being off-topic:

Hi Butch - yeah, I'm about the biggest RUSH fan-boi there is. I love all KINDS of music, and can appreciate ANY musician/s who has/have talent, skill, and (in particular) songwriting ability...and there's a LOT of great ones.

But - as my signature implies - it's my belief that RUSH is the cream of the crop (and I've thought so since the guys in U2 were in grade school and Keith Moon was still the wildest drummer in rock).

They're in a class by themselves.

New threads

Members online