Copyright Protection?

Slugworth

Veteran
Gear owned
DP-008EX
I recently received a certificate of copyright registration for ten of my songs via mail. To this point copyrighting is the only step I have taken for protections. Is this enough or do I need more? I doubt if I would ever need to employ a copyright, but it's not expensive to copyright them so I did.

This question is best answered by a competent music business attorney.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Whose fee to answer such question would likely be at least three times as much as the copyright itself .. lol. I understand though as this is not a forum for legalities. I just thought there may be members here who have been through song protection processes and willing to share their knowledge about it.

I realize that. However, this is an international forum and copyright law varies, depending upon location.

According to US copyright law, there is a common law copyright that exists from the moment of work is produced. However, proving that is another story altogether. It all comes down to being able to prove in a court of law that you are the rightful owner of whatever work you’re trying to protect. most people do the website copyright protection process. Most people do the website copyright protection process. that’s fine as long as you understand that whatever the format is you copyrighted, that is what is protected. In Other words, if you copyrighted all those 10 songs together as a collection, then that is how they are protected. Not necessarily protected on an individual song by song basis, as a result.

As a professional songwriter and record producer, the experience I wish to share with you, is that you need a lawyer if you are really concerned about it. But you probably don't have much exposure. And if you have issues you'll need that lawyer.

"In Other words, if you copyrighted all those 10 songs together as a collection, then that is how they are protected. Not necessarily protected on an individual song by song basis, as a result."

Yes, I did copyright them as collection is it much cheaper that way, but I must not have fully understood that in doing so it may not protect them individually. I am age 56 and have worked in the medical field for the past 30 years. I don't have any fantasy that my songs will amount to anything more than for my own personal enjoyment of accomplishment and creative expression. However, I may eventually post them on Youtube or as I've already done on Soundcloud a couple times to share here or with friends and family. I may mark them as "Public" on such site just too see if they get any response.

As I mentioned prior I don't ever foresee having to employ a copyright. However, in the off chance if someone thought they could make a dollar of my stuff I'd want at least 51 cents of that dollar.

Put it this way: The best thing that could happen for your career would be for some famous rock star to rip off one of your tunes. You could become instantly famous as a songwriter.

Reactions: Max Relic
I'm on my way to the top of charts as we speak :D
The focus should be on my top of the line gear :LOL:

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.