Cubase 11 Pro -> MU-1000 -> Midi Timecode

Discussion in 'TASCAM DM-3200 & DM-4800' started by Peter Batah, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Peter Batah

Peter Batah Well-Known Member

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    Hello all,

I pretty much read what I could find on how to setup Midi Timecode so that it would display on the meter bridge of my DM-4800.

I am almost sure that I got this going in Cubase 5.x. But, that's been a while and I can't be 100% certain.

Does this require a midi connection of some sort?

Your time and guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Peter
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. skier

skier Well-Known Member

Connecticut, USA
    Gear:
    Tascam DM4800, PT 12
    @Peter Batah, I don't know Cubase at all, but in PT, I have to use the MIDI ports on the FW card to get input or output MIDI to musical instruments. The MIDI ports on the DM itself seem to work only for Midi Time Code (MTC) and control (tape start/stop/rewind, etc.) to external equipment. The FW and USB connections between the DM and computer/DAW on my system are enough to drive the meter bridge time code. Also, there is a setting on page 42 of the DM user manual that lets you select what the DM display shows in the time code field, whether incoming time code, automation sync, etc. I think I remember reading (a long time ago) that you have to set this setting for incoming time code for the MU-1000 meter bridge to display time code.

FULL DISCLOSURE WARNING: I'm working off of memory in my response above and I'm not sure enough about my comments to assert that I'm right. Therefore, if anyone else has more detailed and reliable information, please feel free to contradict me. I want to help here, but I'm afraid that's all I remember at this time. At least it's something reasonable to try.
    -mjk- likes this.
  3. Peter Batah

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    @skier Good morning J. My apologies for not getting back to the forum before having you access your memory bank :p You know how it is once you get immersed in what you are doing, or trying to do!

It took me a few minutes but I finally got it figured out. I should have learned my lesson by now. If you come to a road (mind) block just drop it and continue fresh the next day. Which is exactly what I did. Finally, it was a setting in the Automation section that I had completely overlooked. Switched the setting from TC IN -> MTC(USB)

It's been a while!

https://flic.kr/p/2kGpAS4

https://flic.kr/p/2kGmVqu
    -mjk-, Arjan P and skier like this.
  4. skier

skier Well-Known Member

Connecticut, USA
    Gear:
    Tascam DM4800, PT 12
    No apology necessary. Perhaps it will help someone else at a later time. I'm just glad you got it working. And immersion into a passion is wonderful!
    -mjk- and Peter Batah like this.
  5. Juzz

Juzz New Member

Australia
    Gear:
    DM4800
    @Peter Batah, Thanks for the tip. I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over the this. Who would have thought that you would need to change a setting in the automation section to get the timecode to display on the MU-1000. Works great now. Thanks again mate!
    Peter Batah likes this.
  6. Peter Batah

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    @Juzz Glad that I was able to help. Have a good one. Peter
    Juzz likes this.