Dealing with stems on the Models

Max Relic

Veteran
From
Cagliari, Italy
Gear owned
Portastudio 244, Model 12
It's assured that the Model 12 is a practical scratch pad that sould be used in conjunction with a DAW for editing and mixdown, and that with a little effort on Tascam side it would become a better musicians friend.
What I like to do is make multiple mixed versions of the recorded tracks, then take them to my DAW for additional treatment and cut&paste. The current export function doesn't allow automatic rename if a file with the same name already exists in the MUSIC folder; usually I would shut down the Model, bring the SD card to the computer, rename the existing file, put the SD back on the Model, export the new stereo mix and repeat until I have enough stems to work on. Another method is to connect the Model in drive mode via USB and do the rename job. What if I don't want or can't access to a computer?

- record the first mix and export to stereo track in MUSIC folder
- rename the song (Menu SONG / select and click the song / select RENAME in the context menu) to the next progressive number
- record a second main mix and export to stereo track, it will inherit the new song name
- repeat the above steps until all the mix versions are exported, then rename the song to its initial name and you are done. You have multiple stereo mixes with progessive numbering without using a computer that can be imported on a new empty song on the Model for making a fancy group mix, or edited in a DAW.

Reactions: Stew71
What if I don't want or can't access to a computer?

Then you have a live mixer with a digital recorder.

Reactions: Max Relic
... I push it beyond its apparent limits to do something creative :)

And never stop pushing those limits man!

Anyway I am thinking to pick a 2nd-hand DP-32 (non-SD, I want MIDI ports) though on the market I only see DP-24.

@Max Relic I had to utilize my network of followers to find an original DP-32. Someone in The Netherlands was selling one and I got it. Another good place to look is Yahoo Auctions Japan. Put the word out and have your friends looking for one too. They are out there; just have to find them.

@-mjk- Fortunately I am not in a hurry to get one. In my opinion (and 30-year experience in buying/selling used gear) taking time to look around increases my chances of success.
Sadly, given the extra cost due to customs on overseas purchases and the side effects of Brexit, I've been somewhat forced to restrict my search to European mainland. They are out there and I'll get one ;)

Reactions: Stew71 and -mjk-

New threads

Members online