Deleating unwanted files

butch turner

Gear owned
Tascam MX2424
Threw my computer ignorance I have maxed out my internal HD with 1 continual project in non-destruct mode and don't know how to delete files to free up enough space to convert it to tape mode...when I try to make a smart copy to the DVD-ROM installed it says its inactive? After mo.'s and 3 computers I have mx-view hooked ethernet to my old xp laptop and can see what I want to delete but none of the edit functions in view seem to work and there is no delete...mx view does controle play/rec functions but will not import or edit? I'm old and dyslexic so my idea of a black box to store my tks and spit um back to me has turned into my comp. nightmare and manual purgatory...any help would be appreciated!

If you have only one drive installed in the MX but have ethernet working, I would do a network backup. You do this in MX-view via the menu File > Network Back Up > then you choose a location on the ethernet computer. The reason for doing this back up is because if what I suggest next screws the project you will have a back up. Network backup takes a long while and if the drive is full maybe do it over night as it's a big project.

After back up carry out a disc clean up, menu item 720. This removes any obsolete files and may free up enough space to do the tape convert.

If this does not work, you could go through the project and assuming that all the edits in the project are complete, render each track, page 57 of manual, this will make each track one file, if you start running out of drive space along the way, carry out disc clean up again as I am sure that there will be more unused files after each render.

A better way to do all of this is if you can install a second SCSI drive you can tape mode convert to the second drive.

Let me know how you go.

Alan.

Alan
Thank you again...YES it worked didn't do the network back up because I 2 tracked the drums as a backup in case of disaster I had read the disk cleanup but wasn't sure if it would erase the project...the machine goes to non destruct everytime you turn it on and I forget to reset it today before recording.

In mx view is it possible to see all the tks in wave files at the same time and can you delete tks in mx view I can't see that in my reading...I see wave files in manuels of individual tks in editing but don't know how to navigate view yet evidently?

I'll try not to abuse your kind help or ask things I haven't tried to find before hand
Thanks
Butch

Great,

You delete the track via the drop down menu, page 80 of the MX view manual. The track menu button is located at the right side of the track between the record button and the little arrow symbol.

1. 0-1 Track Menu

In order to perform any track-based function, you must first click on the Tracks Menu button, displaying the track drop-down menu. This menu is available for any Virtual or Loaded tracks.

Track drop- down menu

The menu presents the options of creating a New Virtual Track, Loading a Track, Unloading a Track, Renaming a Track and Deleting a Track.

1. 10-6 Deleting a Track

Access the Track drop down menu and select the “Delete Track” option. Click on “Delete” to proceed or “Cancel” to abort the operation.

Have you read through the mx view manual? The 2 most important manuals to read from the extensive manual list is MX View and the MX tutorial. The actual MX 2424 manual is really hard to understand LOL.

Cheers
Alan.

Reactions: Caveman
I haven't used an mx in a long long time but instead of using tape mode convert it was faster for me to use mix mode and send my 24 tracks to a mixmode project back into 24 new tracks. It was a lot faster to get my final 24 tracks in tape mode, bu those delete the originals that may have had 30 comp tracks on vox lead gtr etc multiple takes that made project huge.

Hope this is understandable like I said been a long time since I used an mx but I do remember waiting around for tape mode convert when mixmode only took the amount of time song was, 3 min song 3 minute convert. No, this doesn't help current issue of being out of hd space, it's a nice tool for future BEFORE running out of space. Before we got Ethernet transfer and before the dvdram drives were released if you didn't have removable drives or externals which were very expensive when mx first came out you were left with no way to bu. I used direct outs to rtr tape. Then the first Ethernet transfer when we finally got it was the slowest thing on earth! 24 track 3 minute song took HOURS to transfer. Grrrrrr!!!!! Finally after I think 2 years after release tascam finally delivered. IMHO the mx program should've been continued with improvements offered in new decks and upgrades for older decks. I've owned three of these and plan on getting another one just because I miss the ease of use and the fast easy editing.

New threads

Members online