Deleting a Master File!

Dave Zippi

Just curious!

I was wondering if there is a way to delete just the Master File without deleting the total file completely?

I have my basic mix mixed down to a stereo track in Multi-Track mode & then I go to Mixdown mode & then to Mastering mode.

I know that the master file gets over-written but what happens if I change my In/Out points?
I don't want to delete the whole file because I'll lose my mix on the stereo track.

Thanks, Dave

...a way to delete just the Master File without deleting the total file completely

Let's work on some concepts and terminology first:
Each track of a song is really a proprietary zz file (and related zz file snippets depending on how many times you perform re-record, punch, and edit operations for that track).

These zz files live in the "Songname" Folder on the SD card.

The Mixdown file is songname.wav and is also found in the Songname Folder. If you do a new mixdown in Mixdown mode, songname.wav gets overwritten.

Songname.wav can only be deleted by opening the Songname Folder using the USB port and a computer. If you want to preserve songname.wav, you can use the USB port to copy it to your computer and rename it to something else.

If you proceed to Master mode and press the Play button, you will hear the songname.wav created in Mixdown mode.

If you proceed to Master mode and press the Record button, the Mixdown songname.wav is overwritten by a new songname.wav that incorporates any Mastering Tools you've engaged.​

I know that the master file gets over-written but what happens if I change my In/Out points?

In/Out is irrelevant in Master mode.

If you set different In/Out points in either Multitrack or Mixdown mode, and then in Mixdown mode do a new mix using the new In/Out points, you will overwrite the old songname.wav with the new songname.wav. The new songname.wav will have a new length based on the new In/Out points.

I don't want to delete the whole file because I'll lose my mix on the stereo track.

As we know from above, songname.wav gets overwritten, not deleted.

Creating a new songname.wav in Mixdown mode has nothing to do with any stereo mix you may have made in Bounce mode on say Tracks 23/24 (the zz files in the Songname Folder).

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.