Dissecting Atmos

Muziekschuur

Soundaholic
Gear owned
Tascam DM24
I have 'upgraded' my DM24 to a digidesign control24. I will be testing out Atmos in the near future and see if it is anything valuable. Mixing discrete with binaural is kinda not what you wanna do. But what Dolby did.

Since Neyerinck took over support of the Control24 and I got a screaming deal on one .... I now have a humongous control24 here. That can mix in surround.

I hope to upgrade to anything Atmos compatible from Tascam. But that has not arrived yet.

Reactions: mixerizer
I'd love to hear an update on your Atmos journey.

I have no doubt that I could finance a Dolby Atmos room here in Taiwan, but I can't make the financials work. I'm not the only one who can't make sense of it.

Forgive me for being the cranky old bass-terd screaming "you kids get off my lawn!"...:p

But I gotta admit - these vids kinda embody my reaction to Atmos all along.
To quote Ian Malcom in "Jurassic Park": "They were so busy figuring out if it could be done, that they never bothered to ask themselves if it should be done."

It's probably relevant that my hearing is so bad, that I likely wouldn't be able to distinguish "Dark Side Of The Moon" mixed in Atmos from Gilbert Gottfried singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl after a 72-hour bender.
Point being: I’m one of those people the guy in the 1st vid called out. Yeah, I’mma musician, & do my home-studio work…but bringing Atmos into my musical life is like using a NASA-guided laser system to trim my fingernails.o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I love this so much. His point about reception and gatekeeping is spot on

Reactions: -mjk-
I love this so much. His point about reception and gatekeeping is spot on

Speaking as an independent recording artist who was blacklisted and not allowed to chart, this does suspiciously look like a dead industry trying to leverage control again. As long as there are services like Soundcloud that pay royalties, this will never completely happen. But of course, it could make life difficult if Apple went full-on Atmos. Even worse, Apple's Atmos is (you guessed it) a non standard implementation of the specification.

The comments section of those and other Atmos videos are all saying it's about control and nothing about making the user experience better.

Reactions: mixerizer

New threads

Members online

No members online now.