Distorted output on 6 of the 1st 8 channels

Rick Ruskin

Gear owned
MX2424, 2600-32
Channels 3 & 7 are clean but the other six on that db25 connector are distorted and full of cross-talk. It isn't the cable. Any suggestions as to what to look for would be appreciated.

Hi! Quite difficult to tell. I assume you are not using a TDIF or AES/EBU cable connected to the analog card.

Do the rest of the channels on the two other DB25 sound ok?

If the answer is yes, open the lid and try to reset the ribbon cable, both analog i/o and motherboard. If not, you might remove the Analog I/O card and check for some bulge capacitors, cracking solder or anything that may indicate as a possible source of failure.

If the problem persists, use any of the digital option cards -or SPDIF if digital cards are not available- and check if it sounds ok within just digital, in order to locate and isolate the issue. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I would check the capacitors on the analog output card, it was quite common that someone would connect the output of the mx to mic xlrs on a mixer, then accidentally turn on the phantom power, this messes with the caps. I have recapped a card that this had happened to, this was on a secondhand mx it picked up.

Alan

Thanks. I'll get on that next week after I deal with a RADAR 24 that has stopped working. I read on another thread that you have the MX2424 service manual. Could you email that to me?
If you can, my address is rick@liondogmusic.com

Regards,
RR

alan i need the schematics for the mx2424 tascam and there is alot i have been told missing from tascam web sight plus i wold like find the Cd ROM that comes with the mx2424 thanks and my email address is garnp@comcast.net

I will email you the Schematics, if they don't come through let me know.

The Tascam web site has almost everything else there is nothing missing, the schematics were not in the public domain. Don't bother with the CD rom, complete waste of time and only uses DVD Ram discs, very slow to backup and load. There are far better ways to backup.

Alan.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.