2pasta

From
Central Indiana
Website
www.walnutcreekproductions.com
Gear owned
DM-3200 Console
Hello All

I noticed last night during a mix session that the DM-3200 faders were not responding to touch.....and were at best erratic! I could slide a fader to the top and the audio level would not change. If I "pressed down" on the fader the level would abruptly correspond.

Q: Possible bad Faders/Encoders? Calibration issues? What do ya think?

Thx in advance

Nick (aka twopasta)

Touch sensitivity issue. Fader touch senditivity depends on enviromental conditions (mostly humidity). When conditions change, you may experience this kind of behaviour.

Whenever this happens you may adjust touch sensitivity settings in your DM's OPTION/PREFERENCES screen.

See also section:
2 – Basic operational concepts : Options
in your manual.

Thx for the quick response.
Touch sensitivity doesn't seem to be the issue. When you watch the virtual fader in Protools as you move the fader on the desk....the motion is erratic...not at all smooth. I hooked my old Digi 002 interface back up. Smooth a silk. Do the 3200/4800 faders/encoders have a history of this on the DM series? Wearing out?

Never heard of this before. How's your fader behaviour when no DAW is connected?

Have not checked. How would you suggest I set up console to confirm that? Simplier the better :>)

I'm of a mind that it might be a Firewire issue/conflict with the IFFW-DM......but how would you confirm that?

As stated I have temporarily switched back to my old Digi 002 interface and faders operate smoothly in the DAW (PT 9) mix screen. Change back to 3200 and the mix screen virtual faders are erratic as well as the audio output! Clearly a DM issue of some kind.

2pasta said:
Have not checked. How would you suggest I set up console to confirm that? Simplier the better
Very simple: disconnect FireWire and USB cables from the DM, then power it up and see if faders work as expected (you could even do a check by going into the diagnostic mode). If they are good now, the problem must be in the DAW-DM communication somehow..

Thx Arjan

Let me make sure that we're clear on the fader issue. The DM faders mechanically move up and down just fine :>) They are not acting "erratic" (if you will) during playback of the ProTools DAW....on their own. The issue is when I physically move/touch them to vary gain on a channel the corresponding virtual fader in Pro Tools is what moves "erratically" in the DAW. Also, the audio itself may in fact not even change when you move the fader up or down until you physically move the fader/encoder around a bit causing the audio to "jump" up or down. If this was an analogue console I would just assume the faders are mechanically going bad. But as a digital console it's my understanding these are "encoders" not potentiometers....and they seldom fail.

I was further looking into this as an issue. Found a video on Youtube that tells you that the firewire connection is "audio only" between the DAW and the console and that "all control is via USB". Sound right to you guys? That being the case then maybe this is a USB communications issue with my MacPro. The Digi 002 has ONLY a firewire connection to the Mac. The DM USB is plugged into one of the front USB ports.

2pasta said:
Let me make sure that we're clear on the fader issue. The DM faders mechanically move up and down just fine :>) They are not acting "erratic" (if you will) during playback of the ProTools DAW....on their own. The issue is when I physically move/touch them to vary gain on a channel the corresponding virtual fader in Pro Tools is what moves "erratically" in the DAW.
Ah, but from your first post, it seemed the problem was in the desk: " I could slide a fader to the top and the audio level would not change. If I "pressed down" on the fader the level would abruptly correspond." That's also why Jarno suggested humidity problems. I was merely trying to ascertain that the faders actually work in the desk - cause also for internal DM use, they're still encoders. So with an external source and no DAW, each fader should smoothly fade audio..

2pasta said:
the firewire connection is "audio only" between the DAW and the console and that "all control is via USB". Sound right to you guys? That being the case then maybe this is a USB communications issue with my MacPro.
Yes, that's almost right; beside audio, there's also an extra MIDI channel in the FireWire connection. But indeed control is through the USB MIDI channels. Maybe try disconnecting any other USB device? Just guessing here, I'm a PC guy.

I suspected a faulty USB system from the start of the discussion. I, too, being a PC guy can't speak to Mac specifics, but I've experienced similar things with remote fader misbehavior in DAWs. Here are my guesses in no particular order:

-USB cabling issue
-USB conflict
-USB hub malfunction
-USB driver corruption; improper/changed setting

Obviously, swapping cables is the first step. If a hub is in the system, remove it and test the result. And if a new device was added recently, it should be removed and the results tested as well.

If TMC is resident along with Protools, close it and see if anything improves. It's possible it somehow got moved from USB #1 to something else. It's also possible that a MIDI/USB pathway in the DM's MIDI "plumbing" menu was inadvertently altered as well.

If all the above fails, I'd disconnect everything and initiate a new plug and play routine for every USB device in the system.

CaptDan

New threads

Members online