DM-3200 inserts

Supersounds

From
Augusta, GA
Gear owned
Tascam DM-3200
http://imgur.com/gallery/FeeQ4cX

I've done some searching and I haven't found this topic, might be due to poor searching. I have a fully upgraded dm-3200 (fw mkII, TDIF) everything works seamlessly with my DAW (studio one). Today I bought and external compressor, and connected it to my mic channel's insert and I'm getting nada. Is there something I'm missing with the routing?

Side note, I can't change the SEND to anything.
sZAO1fL.jpg
fwnhGtv.jpg

Okay, I'll take a crack at this.
The individual physical inserts on the Mic/Line Channels require an "Insert Cable," either a consolidated TRS that will plug directly into an outboard effect's consolidated Insert Point, or a TRS to dual 1/4 inch male plugs that will plug into the I/O of the given outboard effect.
In other words, the individual Mic/Line Insert Point is an I/O for that channel only, and does not require any internal routing in order to operate. If you only want to use your compressor on a single channel, then you need to make sure the Insert cable you are using is wired appropriately for the gear you are matching it to.

On the other hand, if you would like to have the flexibility of using your compressor on other channels, use the assignable sends and returns instead. They are pseudo-balanced and will accept either balanced or unbalanced cables depending on the needs of your outboard gear.

I'm using a DM4800 and rarely use the channel insert points, preferring the assignable sends and returns in most cases.
I hope I have this correct for your DM3200 and that it helps.

Jack

Reactions: Peter Batah
Thats what I thought. And that's exactly what I did, on both the assignable snd/rtn and the direct insert. Just went home and tried plugging directly into the FMR with my gtr, and turns out I bought a bad unit. Thank you for the response!

BTW, the screen shot you showed with the Insert page, is actually for the soft insert function of the mixer, so this has no relation to the physical inserts at the mic/line inputs.

To make the use of your compressor(s) most flexible, I can recommend using a patch bay with send/return connections that is fully wired to all your physical inserts. If it's half-normalled, the not connected channels will not interfere with your normal input signals.

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online