DM 4800 Sonar X1 and firewire card

jarnold63

Gear owned
DM 4800
Hello, I have some questions regarding use of the firewire card with the DM4800, I am having trouble getting it to completely control sonar start and stop work but nothing else also getting timecode back to the DM from sonar and I am having problems with the audio engine stopping ??? Sonar says it is a problem with the sound card could it be the firewire card I have I heard that the Mk card is partial to the VIA chipset ??? what is the most reliable firewire card to use

Texas Instruments makes the most reliable firewire chipset. All my audio engineering friends have recommended me to switch to TI.

Tollak said:
All my audio engineering friends have recommended me to switch to TI.
Maybe they have not read IF-FW/DM mkII manual:
IF-FW/DM mkII manual said:
VIA chipsets are widely used and are a good match for the IFFW/
DM MKII.
The IF-FW/DM MKII has been noted to perform badly with some
NEC and TI branded chipsets.

The firewirestack under windows 7 could be compromised and may need to be set to legacy... Not sure.... But this issue could come up with the original IFFWDM... Other than that.... Jarno knows way more then me.. The IFFWDMMKII seems to have no known issues..

When on Mac... The firewire800 to 400 cables work perfect with the IFFWDMMKII..

I use DM4800 and Sonar X1 and X2 on W7 64 with via chips and FWmkll and it works flawlessly.
My guess is you have something set wrong.
Is it the Mkll card or the early one?

jarnold63 said:
I am having trouble getting it to completely control sonar
You mean remotecontrol, right? Don't remember how to do it in Sonar, butI have once configured Sonar X1 for DM's remote control. It's doable. Just look at DM's and Sonar's manuals.

jarnold63 said:
getting timecode back to the DM from sonar
Was it Sonar wher you have to create kind of "timecode track" (a midi track with timecode generator plugin or something ike that) and route this track to DM's MTC virtual MIDI port?

jarnold63 said:
problems with the audio engine stopping
See Problem Setting up Firewire Card for DM4800 for most common solutions for DM's FW audio problems.

Under preferences you should set MTC to send out to the right Tascam port.
My DM24 is setup with Sonar X2 and receives timecode from Sonar.

The DM3200 should be setup with a Mackie controll and one extender. The DM4800 should be setup with Mackie Controll and two extenders on port 5, 6 , 7. Take a look if 5 or 7 should be first. Because else fader 17 becomes Fader 1 and vice versa... But that is all really self explanatory.

Thanks for all your help everyone!!! much appreciated, Iam got things about halfway at this point but I will be going up and trying again, I am still messing with the dropout thing think I got it fixed after experimenting with some settings, My other question is this, I will be using this to record sessions w live drums, the whole band thing headphone sends etc . is the firewire the best way to go for this ??? I guess I am asking because if I get to the point beyond 32 tracks at mixdown where do I return anything past 32 ???

jarnold63 said:
I am still messing with the dropout thing think I got it fixed after experimenting with some settings
Would you kindly share us, which settings helped you?

jarnold63 said:
the whole band thing headphone sends etc . is the firewire the best way to go for this ???
IMO, yes.

jarnold63 said:
I guess I am asking because if I get to the point beyond 32 tracks at mixdown where do I return anything past 32 ???
If you go beyond 32 tracks, you'll have to make some submixes inside your DAW and send these to DM. I do this all the time even though I don't remember running out of I/O with my DM. Some cases where making submixes inside your DAW is IMO better than sending individual tracks to DM are:
* doubled vocals and some doubled instruments
* large backing vocal groups
... etc

thnx Jarno, so simple !!! cant believe I didnt think of that !! actually now that opens up alot of options makes me look at the whole mixing thing differently thank you !!!!

There are channelmaps you can use to group channels. Like drums. But allso multi channel VSTi's like a drum program or something like a multi channel sampler. This can then be led to a bus. Now you can have a group of busses... Like the multi channel drums can be send to a group and on all channels there can be different compression and gates. Then when the 32 ch. output happens you can limit in the Tascam. And when you return over let's say 8 groups you can then use stuff like tape limiting (severall plugins to make that happen), If you'd put the tape saturation on all channels it might get too dull.

This can allso be a elemination process. Simply slam the tape limiter on all channels. And busses and returnbusses. And just take them off one of the three groups and see what works best...

OK, just wanted to say thanks for all your help everyone, Ive been messin around and have gotten the transport to work Sonar X1, !!!!! awesome. now I was wondering if I can get timecode to display in Sonar and in the MU 1000 meter bridge simultaneously, and also Please help I cant seem to get the DM4800 faders and pan controls to control Sonar ??? and should I be using SMPTE TC or MTC ??? so many questions thanks all

Hey all, figured out the control of channels !!!! duh, you have to be on the remote layer !!!! its starting to come together !!!! bussing things in Sonar the out to the DM via the firewire, the possibilities are endless !!!! I think the light has come on thanx all for your help, still wanting to know if it is possible to have timecode on both sonar and the DM ??? I either have one or the other

Yes you can have both timecodes, I'm not able to get to my desk right now, but I do want you to know it can be done!
It's done with MTC.
On the DM, press the Automation button, scroll down to sync source and be sure MTC(USB) is selected.

One issue I only have control over the first 8 faders/pan controls nothing for 16 to 24 ?

U need one Mackie Control and two extenders.

And you need to set under preferences MTC to one of the USB ports. Not sure wich one... When set correctly MTC time code will appear...

Timecode issue resolved !!!! thnx guys works at both places now, Ill work on the extenders, thanks a bunch !!!!!

Hello, thanks for all your help everything is running great, my question now is in using this setup, I have firewire which allows 32 in/out, ok then remote layer gives me 24 channels of control, is it better to mix off of the 32 channels, or group things and use the remote layer along with some of the regular channels to still have those avail but not have remote control on them trying to figure out the best way or get some ideas on how some of you guys are using this setup it is unbelievably versatile !!! just trying to get a handle on it any ideas would be greatly appreciated

New threads

Members online

No members online now.