DM3200/Firewire/Windows8.1 Issues

kingster

Gear owned
dm3200
Hi all,
My wife (software engineer) has been helping me on solving firewire problems I have been experiencing with my DM3200. Note that my system worked well with my old Windows XP computer (but it died). Here are the details, as originally written by my wife to Tom from Tascam engineering. I placed the discussion on this forum because it may help others with the same problems. Note that my Tascam firewire card is not the II version.

Hi Tom,
I received your contact information from my husband, Gary King. He is trying to get his IF FW/DM to work with his DM-3200.

His system is a DM-3200, a IF FW/DM, a Dell 64 bit machine with Windows 8.1, and a PCI Firewire card.

In device manager - the PCI card has 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller driver.

These are the different configurations we have tried:

Attempt #1 - using IF FW/DM driver version 1.10 (we did not use 1.51 because it was not listed on the downloads page of the IF FW/DM - only the MKII downloads page.)

We received the error:

"failed to preinstall c:\Programs....\IFFWDM\IFFWDM_avs.info"

Attempt #2 - plugging in firewire port and letting windows configure the port.

It shows up in device manager as other devices: TASCAM IFFWDM AV/C Audio and TASCAM IFFWDM AV/C SubUnit devices.

Indicates they are not working properly.

Attempt #3 - changing driver in device manager by selecting the SPB2 IEEE 1394 driver.

Windows errors go away, and says device is working properly. However, opening the IFFWDM control panel indicates there are no devices.

Attempt #4 - changing driver in device manager by browsing to drivers provided with the 1.10 driver download.

The error we receive:

"folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64 based system"

Please advise if there is a x64 compatible driver for Windows 8.1, if there is another driver we should use instead of the 1.10, or if there is some other settings we should try to get the system working.

Thanks in advance,

Gary & Sheila King

" Note that my Tascam firewire card is not the II version."

I suspect that's the heart of your problem. If you intend to use Firewire with Win8, you may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the MKII.

Of course, Tom (Redbus) may advise differently.

CaptDan

CaptDan,
Thanks much for the reply. We are coming to that same conclusion and are pricing a MKII card. Obviously, I have no need for my existing card and will want to sell it. The DM3200 has been sitting unused for the last 7 years, and therefore has not seen many hours of use. If you know of anyone needing my existing card (DM24 users??), make me an offer.

There are people all over this forum looking for that MkI card. You won't have any trouble selling it.

I won't put it on ebay quite yet, and give my forum friends a chance to grab it. I just need a fair offer. :)

How mucho? I was actually toying with the idea of buying a DM24

Hi Tom,
After pricing the MKII I decided I needed the $$ help and so put it on ebay for $299. I don't have a benchmark since no others are selling on ebay, so I don't really know the fair market value. What do you think?

kingster said:
Hi Tom,
After pricing the MKII I decided I needed the $$ help and so put it on ebay for $299. I don't have a benchmark since no others are selling on ebay, so I don't really know the fair market value. What do you think?

One of the best ways to determine real world wholesale value is to search the 'Epay' 'Completed Listings.' Although there were no recent DM MK1 Firewire cards sold, here's a typical completed listing of a DM24 with a MK1 interface:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-DM-24-Di ... 33888cdf81

The entire unit sold for under $600 (without shipping). So, perhaps your intended selling price of $299 might be a little rich for the market.

YMMV.

CaptDan

Valid. I'm open for an offer.

New threads

Members online