DM3200 & Logic Pro X - Only 8 faders

Luke Axelby

Gear owned
Tascam DM3200
Hey all, I feel like I'm a bit late to the game but I've always wanted a DM3200 and a couple of months ago I managed to get one. I have a tricked up iMac 2011 model running the latest Logic Pro X.
Managing to get signal through the board from logic and have managed to record so everything seems to be working there.
I'm just wondering about the fader control on the remote layer. I seem to only ever get access to 8 faders even though I have extended control set up in Logic for 16 faders.
Has anyone ever encountered this problem and what did you end up doing about it?

You need to check if you have added 2 Mackie controls in the DM settings. I don't own a DM anymore, so can't provide any screenshots.

@Luke Axelby Welcome aboard Luke. In mone of my setups I use a Mac Book Pro, Logic Pro X, and a DM-4800. I canprovide you with screenshots id you would like. I was using the same setup with a DM-3200 last year. It is pretty much the same.

Thanks for the welcome @Peter Batah. Feels good to be recording and mixing again. I took a few years off to have three kids so being back behind the controls is a great feeling. :)
So anyway, in lieu of being able to upload pics of the set up (won't let me add Google Drive images), I have a Mackie Control and Mackie Control Extender added.
Does anyone know why I can't get access to the extender in the Experts View of Logic to see how it is set up?

So after a lot of mucking around I ended up in the diagnostics system and faders 9-16 are not operating correctly. When I perform the automation test, they do not move and when I do the manual test for level they do not register at all.
Does anyone have any experience with issues like this and whether they are easy to fix?

@Luke Axelby I would open up the unit and verify that all cables are seated well.

So after a lot of mucking around I ended up in the diagnostics system and faders 9-16 are not operating correctly. When I perform the automation test, they do not move and when I do the manual test for level they do not register at all.
So do faders 9-16 not move at all? I mean, not even remembering (and moving to) their last positions when switching between layers? In that case I'd first take a look inside the board and check connections indeed..

Yes, the chances that all eight faders failed at the same time is quite remote. Must be something common to the whole bank, like a ribbon connector.

Thanks for all the responses. Rather than poke around in there myself, it's off for a service at my local guy. I reckon it'll be something to do with the master fader board ribbon but I'm the guy who pokes around in places and makes things worse so I don't want that. I'll update when I know more. Thanks again. :)

Reactions: -mjk-
Turns out it was the ribbon for the master fader board. It was repaired along with several of the buttons and the LDC was replaced so it's like brand new!!! I've already started recording :)

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P

New threads

Members online