Dm4800 controlling a HD24

David Feeger

Gear owned
dm4800 and hd24
Has anyone had any luck getting the dm4800 to run transport functions on the Alesis HD24? I'm new to this console and it's got me confused on getting this to work if it's even possible.

Without having to read through the Alesis manual: what protocols for machine control does it accept? MIDI I assume, but maybe others as well.. I would think it should be possible - whether it's easy to accomplish is another question.

I used to run an HD24 with my DM all the time. Still do on rare occasions. It's been a long time since I've set it up from scratch, I have project presets that I load from the DM whenever I use the HD24. I don't remember it being difficult to do. It works quite well. The only "trick" is to program and utilize the location presets from the DM, it greatly enhances the workflow. You need to enable the Generate MTC and MMC from the HD24 and send that to the DM. I also always slave the HD24 to the optical out from the DM, it always seemed to work better than the reverse setup.

I'm an old analog man and this transport thing has me befuddled. I can get it to use the play and stop buttons with no issues but, when I try to use rewind or fforward, there's nothing. I'm also not getting any time display on my meter bridge. If I set it to MTC chase, it kills the transport functions. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Like I said, it’s been awhile since I set up the DM to work with an ADAT. I did load up one of my DM/ADAT pre sets and it still works fine. I have lots of midi in my studio, but for the DM/ADAT connection I go direct between the ADAT and the DM In/Out both ways. Make sure the ADAT is set to generate MTC and that it is also sending MMC. That should be all you need to set up the ADAT. The ADAT is generating the time code, the DM meter bridge will just be a display for the ADAT MTC code. Still recommend that the DM be the sample clock master and the ADAT a slave to optical, unless you have a more elaborate studio clock set up.

On the DM, I have a Machine Control entry that has a State of One Way(open loop). The Device is M MMC Open, ID is set to 1, Chase has a Square Block, TRA has a circled Play icon, and the REC shows 1-24. You can manually insert the M MMC Open device and then use the cursor buttons to scroll over and adjust REC, TRA, etc.

Go to the Automation menu and make sure Sync Source is set to MTC(MDI IN), again I'm assuming that you have the ADAT MTC going directly to the Midi In on the DM. There is another option there if you are sending Midi via USB. You may want to check the midi menu on the DM to double check the routing and make sure there is no filter on MTC or MMC.

The REW and F FWD buttons on the DM will NOT work to control an ADAT. That’s why you want to get familiar with the DM’s Machine Control Locate menu; why press rewind?, just go directly to the song position you want to go to. You could also just keep the ADAT’s small remote on your desk top, it will still make adjustments to the ADAT with the REW and F Fwd buttons as well as the Locate 0 button and the DM will chase to those positions once you press Play on the DM.

The automation step is the one I'm missing. Thanks very much for the help and guidance on this. It;s my first digital mixer and is a bit overwhelming to get things setup and running right.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.