DM4800 Firmware

Jean-Pierre Pineau

From
Rimouski (Quebec) Canada
Gear owned
Tascam DM-4800 and stuff
Hi again.

As I've been away from this forum for a long time, I've read some posts, here and there, searching for novelties. I found some...

My current firmware is 1,70. My computer setup is fairly recent/potent and lives on W10 Pro. I see there are Betas with different versions existing for drivers (?) and firmware(s). What should I expect from these compared to 1,70? The mixer works well per se, but I've lost MMC/MTC capabilities along the way. Currently, it acts as an AD/DA interface and preamp. Mixing automation is done in the box. USB is shaky (appears & disappears), so I stopped using the MIDI part of it. Even my previous setups, stored in memory, could not be used with SONAR PLT after the computer upgrade.

As I am overhauling the system, it may be appropriate to get everything back in place. So, thanks in advance for your tips and infos!

All I can say is that I'm using the DM-3200 together with a Windows 10 PC with Cubase 10 on it. Everything works, USB and FW, and my DM firmware is 1.72b3. Can't say (actually, recall) what the difference would be with 1.70.

I don't see what your previous mixer setups have to do with Sonar or any other software on the PC - they are after all only used to communicate with the mixer from TMC. If I were you I would certainly try to get the mixer's USB functioning reliably. To backup and recall mixer scenes, for automation, MMC/MTC and perhaps the meter window.

Reactions: Peter Batah
That's the next step for sure. As for the USB dropouts, I don't know how to solve this. Never had this before. Obviously, SONAR has to be configured correctly and I never got it to work with the DM after moving to a more potent computer. Same thing happens with Samplitude. This is likely to be a Code 18 problem. :p I've been too lazy and under pressure with uncanny deadlines to fight this problem until now.

@Jean-Pierre Pineau Your USB woes are certainly puzzling. Personally, I have used an older

HP laptop nx9420 (integrated USB and Fire Wire interface) - Cubase 5.x
My trusty Mac Book Pro (circa 2011) - Logic Pro X
Desktop PC ASUS P6T (integrated USB and Fire Wire interface) - Cubase 10 Elements Trial
Desktop HP Xw8200 (integrated USB and Fire Wire interface) - Cubase 5.x

I do not recall having experienced any USB / Fire Wire dropouts that I can recall.

I might look into your power options settings as well. Best of luck Jean-Pierre.

À tantôt (en bon Québécois)

Peter

Reactions: Jean-Pierre Pineau
Peter,

I don't have any audio dropouts at all. Maybe with "80" VST effects or instruments attached to a production, I would have to back up a bit the latency at mixdown time, but otherwise, all the system is OK under the IEEE1394 aspect. The DM acts as a perfectly apt AD/DA interface. The USB connection is questionable admittedly. I just used that good old mantra that says "Work with what works"... to get those jobs done and did all automation ITB for the past year. :p That could be enough for my purpose, but having half of the system working is something that tickles my curiosity. Even with my previous installation, this part of the DM/PC combination was far from being rock solid. So, that should be a Code 18 situation... :p The current problem is that USB will not always be available as evidenced by the TMC error message at launching. I have to investigate the case while there is some downtime...

BTW, are you still active professionally? I remember some things from you in the '80s... Didn't know you were from Montréal, though.

Parlez-vous français couramment?

Salut Jean-Pierre. Unfortunately, my time as a composer / performer was put on hold for a good number of years. Spending most of my time these days trying to get my little home studio setup. Who knows maybe there is some production work for me in the future. Not really setting any major goals for myself. Ahh yes the 80's. That was defnitely a memorable period for me. It was a blast! I spent most of my life in Montréal but am located out in the suburbs at the moment. The congestion of the city was a little much to be honest with you.

And lastly. Oui Je parle francais. Je me débrouille. Speech is better than my grammatique for sure.

How about you. Tell me a little about yourself.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.