Does anyone have a SOLUTION to the DP-008EX low METRONOME volume problem?

H. Lidholm

Gear owned
DP-008EX
I have big problems with the DP-008EX internal METRONOME. The volume is to low even when set to max i.e. 100. I can see on the web and on this forum that there are several other users that have the same problem.

I wonder i anyone have found a solution or fix to this?

The internal metronome becomes completely useless since it can't be heard together with the rest of the music that is played. On it's own one cane hardly hear the metronome it is very low/soft and when played together with other music it can't be heard at all!!!

The user manual state that the metronome level should be able to be set in the range 1-127 with the default level to 100. But the volume level can't be set above 100 at all. Max level is 100!!

I found it very strange that Tascam has not provided a fix for this problem/bug, since it makes the internal metronome completely useless for the whole DP-008EX customer base.

So I wonder if any user of the Tascam DP-008EX has found a solution or fix for this problem.

Hello @H. Lidholm. While I don't specifically have a direct solution to the volume issue of the metronome, I'd like to suggest that you might be able to make it a bit more audible by panning the tracks away from center. Center channel buildup is probably obliterating the metronome.

My low-tech solution is to dedicate one track as the "metronome track". I play/record a woodblock while listening to the onboard metronome. I usually record approximately 4 minutes of woodblock, shorter or longer depending on the song. The woodblock is much easier to hear while multitracking. If all tracks are needed, I record over the "metronome track" on the final take.

Tip: assuming the time signature is 4/4, hit the woodblock 3 times (in tempo of course) leaving the 4th beat silent (rest), then continue "in time". This will give you an "intro tempo/count in" for your last track. The "rest" gives a bit of silent space for the beginning of the song.

It's a bit of a pain, but it works well!

Note: I use a dp-03 but it should work on a dp-08 as well.

Reactions: dctdct
I'm guessing you're attempting to raise the metronome level above 100 while it is on but not actually playing.

A one-in-a-million shot..

Try starting the metronome, then see if you can raise it to 127 while it's playing.
The wording in the manual can be misleading, so this might be a dead end.

The wording mentions adjusting the metronome level while it is ACTIVE, but that may just mean that is has been turned on in the menu.. not actually playing.

I don't understand, the only time you should need a metronome is when laying down the first tracks. If the already recorded music is playing, why do you still need a metronome? Seriously. If you cannot play in time with what's already there, then that is your real problem. Don't rely on a metronome, learn to play in time, it is a crucial part of being a musician.
THAT is why the music is drowning out the metronome, that is how it should work. The metronome only needs to be loud enough to be audible when the first track(s) are being laid down.

I agree with BazzBass to an extent but a metronome can serve as a great reference point for all tracks to make things a bit tighter for recording. Remember we all have different workflows and sometimes its beneficial for timing breaks etc.

New threads

Members online