Does IF-FW/DM mkII work with M1 Mac?

waterstrum

Veteran
Gear owned
dm
Does anyone have success with this combo?

I can't give up my DM mixer.
Nothing compares 2 it.

I am working on it... If you get the IF-FW working with M1 please let me know. I am using an older mac with Dante on both machines as a way to get sound in and out of the M1. I have the WINDOWS version of the TMCompanion software running on my M1 using PlayonMac. I was expecting it to be hard to do, but I am telling you it was free and really easy.

Hi, Curious if there is any new developments with using the IF-FW with Monterey M1 macs? I just upgraded to an M1 Mac Studio and would love to be able to continue using my DM4800 as I have been up until now. Rockum, I'm also going to do the DANTE/old mac setup to get to the DM4800. I guess perhaps this is the only workaround? Does that work well for you, and is latency an issue at all?

You are limited to 48k, but stability is good. The latency is obviously not as low as a fast single machine, but I find it functional even for recording virtual instruments.

Hi, I actually just got it all hooked up last night with the DANTE setup. Seems to work great and not much different than my previous setup for how I use it. So this is good! Just a little more complicated now that I have one more device to switch sample rates on. How is that you are limited to 48k though? With mine I can use the higher sample rates as well.

The mixer can run at higher rates, but I believe the Dante stream is at 48k. Let me know if you confirm otherwise.

DANTE can definitely run higher sample rates. I use it up to 96k. Although I guess maybe it depends on your soundcard/interface you are using?

Are you using DANTE VIA? I just took a look and saw that VIA is limited to 48k. If you use DANTE DVS, you can go higher.

I am using VIA on the device host machine and DVS on the client machine.

I think you have to use DVS on both machines to use higher sample rates, as VIA is limited to 48k.

That may solve the firewire issue only recently caused by Ventura, but even before Ventura I found no way to get the Tascam going. The mac sees the mixer as a firewire device, but I don't think the Tascam drivers work with Apple M1/M2. Someone please prove me wrong.

That's correct, the drivers won't work. At least I certainly wasn't able to get anything working. I would love to be wrong about that!

Found this, might be worth a try
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/721151

I am about to buy a new mac to run my system, might want to get windows pc instead.

If not, can you describe your dante setup a bit more
Hardware, os version ect
Thanks

RE: The Dante setup. I have a new MacStudio (Monterey) with Dante DVS and my older Mac Pro (Mojave) also running DVS and hooked up to my DM-4800 firewire. My MacStudio communicates sending audio back and forth to the DM4800 by utilizing the DANTE connection between the 2 computers. It was a little complicated to setup the routing/channels etc at first, but works great. On the MacPro I am running a copy of Digital Performer with a bunch of AUX tracks setup to 'translate' the DANTE ins and outs to and from the DM4800. If I am doing som tracking on my MacPro and monitoring things through my DM4800, I have found there is small amount of latency. 215 samples in my situation, and I have that set as an offset in DP to compensate for it.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.