Sampler1

From
Montreal, Canada
Website
sites.google.com
Gear owned
DM-3200 and Mackie 24-8
Hi Hi,
I was reading the manual and I see the DM-3200 has a sleep function shut down. Shift+CTRL+Alt. You can then press the power button to completely power down if you wish.
To restart the DM-3200 if you have not powered down you just press Alt+Stop+Play.

What I am wondering about is if the DM-3200 is in sleep mode and you have not powered down, is the power supply in sleep mode also????? Why I am wondering this is as a Tech is if the supply is not sleeping it will still be producing a lot of Heat.
If anyone knows the answer let me know.. If not ill figure it out and get back to the forum.

Regards !

Reactions: waterstrum
Great question! I've always wondered what the advantage of the "sleep" mode is. Wish I had an answer for you.

Hm, this is called 'sleep mode'? It's my normal power down sequence.. I'm pretty sure the power supply does not sleep, since the display stays on. All audio is stopped however, and since I can't reach the On/Off switch I then cut the power to a bunch of stuff at once.

I was in my DM-3200 today so I measured the supply. Nothing sleeps. Really lame design !

Ehm, in my DM3200 manual there is 0 results when I search for the word 'sleep'. So maybe your expectation was based on a misconception..

Reactions: Peter Batah
I would assume that a function that allows a machine to go to sleep to have some kind of power of it's own to work.
So the machine - that probably draws the most power - would or could go to sleep, but the function that allows it to go to sleep, would always need to have some power to work. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the machine to wake up.

So a TV or computer or HD-recorder could go to sleep ("stand-by-mode"), but the power supply for each would presumably always be "working".

I guess ... I'm no engineer ...

@Logrinn You are right, any electronic device that goes to sleep needs to use a little power to be able to wake up.

The thing here is that Tascam doesn't speak of any 'Sleep Mode' AFAIK. The procedure mentioned above is the normal shut down procedure - from which one can also restart the desk - and was not designed as a sleep mode.

Reactions: -mjk-
Sleep mode (or suspend to RAM) is a low power mode for electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and remote controlled devices. These modes save significantly on "electrical consumption" compared to leaving a device fully on and, upon resume, allow the user to avoid having to reissue instructions or to wait for a machine to reboot.

As far as the power supply ;There is a 5V standby voltage rail (usually referred to as +5) that is always on. It only outputs a small amount of current . As far as all the other voltage rails in a supply that is a sleep ,they are turned off.

Why I asked this question to start was because my DM-3200 has a burned display and I had no idea the screen stays on. All I was able to see was the console lights going off. So I thought it might have a sleep mode. Arjan was right it is just standard shutdown procedure.
Tascam missed the boat in not adding a sleep type of design in my opinion.

Personally I never leave stuff on that doesn't need to stay on, so I don't miss a sleep mode since I wouldn't use it. And saving on electrical consumption is better served by the off mode anyway.

BTW, that's a seriously burned display! Do you mean it was full of the lines that we all fear, or was it completely dead?

Yes badly burned out. Backlight dead and lines. I found a cheap ccfl lcd that I will install for now and then trouble shoot the 3200 for a few problems I have come across. Someone spraying Deoxit into the faders that had a ton of dirt in them.ya the magical solution for the guy who know nothing. I opened one up and there was a carpet inside. I found a distributor in China and I’ll change them all as the carbon strips are all scratched. When I was in there I also found a surface mount cap broken off the PCB. I think someone was inside trying to figure the fader problems and hit the PCB on the chassis.
My plan is when I get all the bugs out I’ll install an LCD with LED backlight ($60 China just pinning to figure out) . Then I want to design something like 2seemy at a reasonable price.
Have a great day.

Reactions: Arjan P

New threads

Members online

No members online now.