DP-006 low recording level with Sennheiser e385? (vs DR-07MKII)

mh2000

Gear owned
dp-006
Last week I traded my DR‑07mkll handheld recorder for a DP-006. With the DR-07MKII, I used my Sennheiser e385 (dynamic mic -- pretty similar to SM58) and got good levels, but when I plug it into my DP-006 with levels all the way up, I barely get recordings peaking at the -12 dB reference line. Same voice (me), everything the same. Do I really need a preamp to get the level up when using the DP-006 when I didn't with the DR-07? With the DP-006, Line in and internal mics all have adequate levels. Thanks for any help!

No one uses a Shure SM58 with their DP-006?

I'm still surprised no one has used this unit with any of the most popular mics, but while messing around with mine. was careful to keep the mic within an inch of my mouth and just barely got good levels and recorded this new song:

Can't say the DP-006 is totally great -- come on TASCAM, no backlight? Saved you 3 cents? -- also, the partitioning, proprietary file formats, real time mastering and export... all kind of lame, but since I got a pristine used DP-006 for only $50, I am happy with what I am able to do for so little money.

Check out my new song! :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.