DP-03SD/DP-008ex Why can't TS Line and XLR input be recorded simultaneously

spantini

From
Florida, USA
Gear owned
US-2x2 DP-03SD
Manual notes: Inserting TS Line and XLR inputs simultaneously will not work - TS takes priority, disabling XLR. In order to record two external inputs simultaneously, both must be TS or XLR.

Curious to know if someone can offer an explanation for the way this operates. Why it's designed this way.

Have you confirmed this? I don't have either of those machines, but I would have thought the restriction applies separately to each input... so you could record a TS on A and an XLR on B, but I could be wrong.
If you are really asking about recording a TS and XLR signal on the *same* input, then the usual reason for not allowing this is because they both share the same pre-amp circuit - the DP24/32 does this. The TS path reduces the gain of the pre-amp, and the XLR boosts it.

Reactions: -mjk- and spantini
Thank you. I was looking into this for a friend at another location trying to record a TS mic and XLR mic simultaneously. I kept visualizing the inputs as combo TS/XLR and assumed the TS mic was in Input A and XLR mic was in Input B - that's why it's not working didn't make sense to me. After realizing each Input had separate TS/XLR, your reply stating they couldn't both use the preamp at the same time cleared that up. He said one mic was in A, the other in B, but I suspect both were in A.

The manuals weren't clear enough on that - not clarifying that both TS and XLR wouldn't work when inserted into the SAME Input (A or B).

Last edited:
The manuals weren't clear enough on that - not clarifying that both TS and XLR wouldn't work when inserted into the SAME Input (A or B).

That's because in a combo jack, the 6.5mm jack is mounted in the center of the XLR connector. It is physically impossible to connect 2 connectors simultaneously to the same input. But, you wouldn't know that unless you've seen one.

https://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/combijacks/combijacks.jpg

Reactions: dctdct and spantini
These Porta Studios have individual XLR and TS inserts, so the physical impossibility was ruled out in this case.

Actually, I've been looking at so much new gear lately, most of which does have combo jacks, that I'm beginning to see them in my sleep :confused::LOL:

Reactions: -mjk-
These Porta Studios have individual XLR and TS inserts, so the physical impossibility was ruled out in this case.

Oh, that's cool. Seems strange though, if one cannot use both at the same time.

Actually, I've been looking at so much new gear lately, most of which does have combo jacks, that I'm beginning to see them in my sleep :confused::LOL:

Haha, you're not the only one!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.