DP-03SD getting tracks on the SD card

Guitarnowski

Gear owned
DP-03SD
Hi there, pretty much a newbie here. So I recorded a track (just let it run for an hour of rehearsal). I wanted to move it to my computer to do some editing, but for the life of me I have no idea how to make it show up on the SD card. I've tried "copy" "save", everything, which seems to be working within the portastudio. but when I put the SD card in my computer, or connect the portastudio via usb, it just ain't there. The track doesn't show up in the "export" menu, but it shows up as a song.

What am I missing? (other than a manual that is useful!).

Thanks, gurus!

The track doesn't show up in the "export" menu, but it shows up as a song.

User manual, page 64:

Song tracks that have audio recordings are displayed in a list.

The file name makes the source track number clear.

NOTE
Song tracks that do not have audio recordings are not displayed in the file list.
----

The question is: Why isn't the track in the list?

You have to investigate. Does the track play back (believe it or not, I've seen people record a track, assumed that it recorded and didn't check the playback only to find that it did not record)? We cannot assume anything. The machine thinks there isn't any audio.

Looking at the SD card on a computer, are there any audio tracks at all?

You're welcome.

When I hook my Dp03SD up to my imac using the USB cable and try to dump or put the tracks into my imac a strange icon shows up,but when I click on it I get nothing! Sounds kinda similar to you hearing nothing too. I wish there was an easier way to be able to save my songs to MP3's At least the old Dp03 had a CD burner! I hate this stuff with the MTR and FAT partitions. I wanna spend more time being creative and recording not mastering and trying to save to my computer.I don't get it.The Manual is over my head a bit when it comes to this aspect of recording Does anyone know how to be able to make my masters into MP3's or burn a CD from itunes?

It is quite simple, but not well explained in the manuals (information spread over several sections and didactically not to the point).
The smaller DP devices (with only 2 input channels) have a different file system than the 2488/DP-24/DP-32 devices. What is written there doesn't work for a DP-03SD or similar.

Partition types: One FAT for the file exchange with a computer and one or several MTR as internal workspace for the songs. You don't have to bother with the latter.
Only files in the FAT partition folders (WAVE, BACKUP, UTILITY) are visible and useful from the outside. Hence you have to EXPORT tracks or the master track before you can access the track(s) from a computer. Same for track import: The only way to get music files into a song as a track is putting them into the WAVE folder and use the IMPORT function into a song. The format is always 44.1 kHz/16 bit.

Process from a recorded song to a finished stereo wave file:
Select MIXDOWN mode and record the tracks you want into the final file, using adjustments with LEVEL and PAN. This function records/creates the stereo master track hidden in the song.
Goto EXPORT MASTER to export this master track as stereo wave file into the WAVE folder of the FAT partition.
Access the new created song file from there with a computer (move SD card or use USB connection) . Convertion to other formats (FLAC, MP3...) have to be done on the computer.

can't I just buy a good outside burner like the Tascam CD-RW900SL and take my outputs from the DP03SD into the burner and rip a CD that way? My friend uses a Zoom digital recorder that has no internal burner either and only uses SD cards but he goes from his recorder to the Tascam CD-Rw900SL and his recordings sound as good as a mix from Pro Tools!

Last edited:
Of course you can do that. Be just aware you are converting a few more times D > A and back A > D, but we did it all the time in the old days of mixed digital and analog environments.

New threads

Staff online

Members online