DP 24/32 Compression Library Templates Questions

lastmonk

Veteran
Gear owned
DP 24 ,DP-02, Model 12,
Is there any other documentation for the Compression Library Templates than the brief mention that is in the Owner's Manual?

I'm curious of how representative they are of the various genres e.g

POP
POP ROCK
Classic (Classical?)
ROCK, etc

Do these templates represent the basic experience/recommendation/guidelines of a single Tascam Engineer? Or.....

Do the templates represent a broader set of best practices or guidelines or jump off points industry wide?

Do they represent compression styles of 70's, or 80's, or 90's, etc?

For those professionals on this forum that have used the DP 24/32 library templates, how would you rate them versus other compression template libraries or your own hand rolled settings?

Is there any other documentation for the Compression Library Templates than the brief mention that is in the Owner's Manual?
Look in the Production Tips Sticky.

Last edited:
Reactions: lastmonk
I don't use them. Presets are a starting point. Pick one and listen. Tweak it or try another. Don't pay attention to their names. Try all of them and make adjustments to your liking. After that you can save it.

Oh yea for sure that's how I approach all templates in any application. See what they do, to get a sense of how or if they would fit into my workflow.

But in this case I'm asking specific questions about these templates because I'm truly curious about their origin stories :). i.e. what were the Tascam engineer's perspective when they provided the templates and what function did they believe the templates would serve. Obviously the fact that they're templates says a lot, but why were they named the way they were named., and what were the settings in each template based on? As I posted do the settings within these templates represent a single Tascam engineer's random notions, or experiences, or do the settings come from industry wide cliches (rules of thumb), or do they represent something Tascam has learned in their 30 years of making portastudios?

I know some of the folks in this forum have a long history with the Portastudio, I thought perhaps someone might have first hand knowledge, or might have documentation from a previous product that might shed some light.

In my extremely positive experience with my DP 24 I found that so far each feature appears to come from Tascam's true and tried decades of experience and know how in the home studio recording process. So I'm looking for more details on Tascam's perspective/history for the settings and names of these templates ;)

Cheers!

With every release, the documentation gets worse.

Reactions: lastmonk
Yea, I've noticed this in many scenarios. I play Yamaha Synths and the further I go back in time on my line of synthesizer, the better and more informative the documentation is. For every computer I purchase the documentation is less or worse than the previous computer, etc I dunno whether the manufacturers are cutting corners to save money, time, or whether there is just a decline in quality assurance once the initial version of a product is shipped. As I was going through the NEO 2488 documentation there seems to be more detailed information on a couple of other features I find useful. E.g the discussion about Autopunch Preroll and Postroll clarified things a little.

IMO they should have simply included (copy & paste) this same information into the DP 24/32 docs, it looks to me to be directly applicable.

Not everyone likes to read the manual, but some of us do and if the information is in the manuals in the long run it gets out to the entire community. It would seem that it would be in Tascam's best interest to simply bring forward all applicable documentation from a previous product. There is considerable overlap between the 2488, NEO 2488 and the DP 24/32, why not just make the documentation for the DP 24/32 a superset:confused:

Reactions: Stew71

New threads

Members online