DP-24 SD -Bounce track and add external effect?

AD1963

Gear owned
TASCAM DP-24 SD
Hi guys. I'm very green with the TASCAM DP-24 SD (as in deep forest green) so my apologies for what might be a very basic question. I watched David Wills' DVD which was very helpful and am slowly wading through Phil's videos (useful, but I find them very theoretical - again, probably due to my lack of knowledge of the unit to date).

Anyway, here's my question.... I recorded a vocal track (dry) and would like to bounce it onto another track and add a Lexicon reverb to it (an external effect). In the simplest possible practical terms, how do I do this? I get the bouncing part, it's adding the external effect which is causing me some grief.

How do I connect the Lexicon unit to the Tascam? How do I add (and preferably preview first) the various Lexicon reverbs on the bounced track?

Thank you so much for any help! Take care, Andre.

Welcome to the forum.

The Equipment Tips sticky at the top of this forum will get you pointed in the right direction. The first post has an index. The Production Tips sticky also has information you'll likely find helpful over time. If you're still stuck, a forum search on "external effects" will turn up numerous posts. Be sure to click on the "Site Results" tab to view the hits.

As a new Forum member, I suggest, if you haven't yet done so, that you update to the latest firmware and assure you're using a TASCAM tested/approved SD card. More on that in the Equipment Tips sticky.

If you still have questions after checking those out, please come back to this thread and ask away.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
OK Mark. The good news is that I was able to bounce and record a wet track using the internal reverb effect. The bad news is that I'm batting "0" when attempting to add a reverb effect from my Lexicon MX200. Do you mind chiming in? Thanks.

1) I connected the DP-24 send 2 output to the MX200 input.
2) I connected the DP-24 input "G" to the MX200 output.

The dry vocal track is on Track 1 and I'd like to bounce it to track 2 adding a reverb effect from the MX200.

1) I set the track 1 send effect 2 to 127 and pre.
2) I set the master 2 send at 127.

I bounced track 1 to track 2. The good news is that it did bounce; the bad news is that it was dry, just as track 1.

I know this is silly but if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing, I'd greatly appreciate it. Like many of you, I'm a songwriter first and a techie way, way down the list.

Thanks so much! Andre.

The Eqipment Tips sticky has a post that addresses using outboard gear in Bounce mode. I don't recall the post number, but it should be one of the posts in the "Interfacing Gear" section of the Index.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I followed this tip sheet: CREATING SEPARATE EFFECTS TRACKS:
USING EFFECT/REVERB/CHORUS/DELAY

All I did was substitute send 1 to send 2 with the effects unit assigned to input G/track2. If someone else can help out, I'd greatly appreciate it (even pointing me towards a thread that may have answered this question). It's a super common thing to do and I'm hoping someone has the patience to lay it out for me or send a link. Thanks again, Andre.

I'm a little rusty right now as I've been working a lot and away from the studio for months now. So just working off of memory - someone please correct me if I say something that's not correct.

The simplest way to get the external effect onto your dry vocal is by staying in "multitrack" mode (not bounce mode) - and simply playing your dry vocal out of send two (at a quick glance it seems you've got everything set correctly) and recording the effected signal back to track 2 using any of the available inputs.

Use the block diagram along with the Tipping videos to get a solid grasp on routing as it relates to the Send buses, Bounce buses, and the internal send effects. The block diagram looks complicated but it's actually relatively simple and is quite an accurate representation of the internal signal flow.

Last edited:
@David Porter , I think Andre wants to bounce those together onto a single track.

Andre, are you using Bounce Mode to do this, or are you doing this in Multitrack Mode? Are you attempting to record the wet and dry signals combined onto another track, or just a wet track? As David said, using Multitrack Mode, it's easy to get a wet track but you would have to use Bounce Mode to get them combined onto a single track. In Bounce Mode, the input signal has to be on the Stereo Bus in order to feed the Bounce Bus.

Thanks guys. My intent was to record a dry vocal on one track (done) and them bounce it to another track, adding the Lexicon reverb (not done). I'd like to ultimately mix both the dry and wet tracks. Thanks also for the sticky reference.

@AD1963 then you need to be in Bounce Mode, and put the returns from the Lexicon reverb (the inputs to the DP machine) on the Stereo Bus before going into Bounce Mode. Check out sticky post #30. You should be able to successfully do a bounce by following the guidelines in there.

Thanks MJK. I'll give it a try. Take care, Andre.

@AD1963 then you need to be in Bounce Mode, and put the returns from the Lexicon reverb (the inputs to the DP machine) on the Stereo Bus before going into Bounce Mode. Check out sticky post #30. You should be able to successfully do a bounce by following the guidelines in there.

Actually, the inputs make it to the Bounce bus without being assigned to the Stereo bus. If you wanted to use a Send from one of the inputs in Bounce mode, then it would have to be assigned to the Stereo bus before entering Bounce mode.

Edit: I've added Phil's excellent tutorial video that clearly demonstrates this (apparently unbeknownst to Tascam) feature:

Please see the section starting at 3:42

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
See post #30 in the Equipment Tips sticky for a full discussion of Bounce Mode. There are some differences in procedure between the DP-24 and DP-32SD.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue that i haven't yet resolved. I don't however need to combine two tracks to one. I'm just wanting a single track, sent out to my external effects and back into a separate track. I've connected everything as above but I'm hearing no effects aside from the occasional feedback while changing switches.
Mark, I'm sure I've already read every relevant post here. but sure, ill read it again. though i have no idea what sticky post means and see nothing listed 'above' . everything i find is through google search.

[to AD1963]...The Equipment Tips sticky at the top of this forum will get you pointed in the right direction. The first post has an index...
[to AD1963] See post #30 in the Equipment Tips sticky for a full discussion of Bounce Mode. There are some differences in procedure between the DP-24 and DP-32SD.
...i have no idea what sticky post means and see nothing listed 'above' . everything i find is through google search.

The sticky threads are pinned in the shaded section at the top of the first page of this 2488/DP-24/32 Digital Portastudios forum. The first post in each sticky thread has the index to the topics and posts in that thread.

If you look in mj's sig (post #12 in this thread) you'll see: "How to Search This Forum - New Members Please Read This". That link takes you to Post #2 in the sticky thread "DP-24/32/SD New Members: Please Read This First."

Last edited:
thank you. unfortunately i think i've read the relevant sections.
the only thing i can think of is that maybe the zoom R8 can not be used in this way. Although I can't imagine why not since it has both send and insert effects and inputs/outputs.

actually in this case, I think it was due to not having the Zoom R8 hooked up as Audio I/O. I am waiting for the mini USB adapter to try it out. I think the DP24 should work with it then.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.