DP-32 SD Assigning effects to individual tracks

Andy M

Gear owned
DP-32
I have recorded 3 tracks, rhythm guitar, led guitar and bodhan drum. I am able to put compression on the drum track but when i exit the screen and change to guitar track the compression effect is active on the guitar track also and when the effect is turned off on the guitar track it also turns it of on the drum track which i don't want, how can i assign different effects to each track and play back and hear the effects selected for each track.

Also even though i was unable to assign different effects to each track before mixdown i went ahead and done sample mixdown and master and upon completion how do i gain access to the master mix? As when i had completed the mastering and hit playback the song played back and can be heard even though all faders and volume were at 0, and then when i entered menu screen and uploaded the song again, it went back to the Pre master settings where i could adjust everything again. Where would the master file be stored and how do i gain access to it and play it back.

Also i set the "in" on the in/out settings, at the start of the song and when hit record after the EQ and compression had be adjusted on on the last stage of mastering, the song wasn't heard immediately and a few seconds later the volume slowly rose up to the peak level even though the song had been playing from the "in" point.

Finally, with all volume/faders down and headphones plugged in, there is low hiss which isnt present in any other audio device that i use these headphones with, and when i connect the unit to my HI-Fi Amp via the phono output there is no hiss present, is this a common issues with the jack input?

Any help with these issues would be appreciated.

Andy

Andy M is my brother, and the above thread was posted by him until I got signed up here.

I have discovered from looking at older posts about the DP24, that what I was trying to do, cant be done, although its good to know that putting the effect that I want on to the desired track and then bouncing it to another track will do the job. I did another mix and master and the volume swell issue didnt occur this time. Good to know that the machine works, and Im very happy with the quality of the recordings, even though it was rushed. Looking forward to recording a full band.

Cheers bud,

I have read through that thread a few times, before and after buying the DP32, and I have to do some research into the terms used.

My experience of home recording demo's has been very basic, first with a Fostex 4 track tape recorder, and when it broke it was a couple of years before I looked into buying a new one. At that time multitracks had gone digital, but I had used a digital 8 track with a band I was in at the time, and I didnt like it at all, but when I came across the Korg D888 8 track, a digital unit with analogue controls, plus 8 inputs, I was sold. I have been using this for over 10 years now and my method with this machine is, record, punch in-out if needed, bounce if needed, adjust faders, eq, pan and reverb, listen back a few times and then record onto MD or CD.

I have produced some decent demo's on this machine, and had recently started to record acoustic guitar songs, and decided to buy a foot switch for punching in-out. Well, its been ten years since I last looked at multitracks, and how times have changed. I didn't buy the Korg footswitch, when I saw the DP32 SD and checked out reviews, again I was sold.

I,ll be recording some songs first and see what I can achieve from what I've learn to use so far. When that's done I look into what terms like, block, daisy-chain, stereo tracks, buses, external effects etc. mean.

I did a bit of studying on compression and have a better understanding of it, and when I put a slight bit on the bodhran drum track, the results are amazing. Looking forward to discovering and working with this machine.

And, to save me a few hours of messing around, Can dynamic effects be used during playback, or are these only available during the recording, as I only seem to be able to assign these effects to A-H inputs, and not to tracks. Also, is the slight hiss from the headphone output a common issue, I think I,ll inform the retailer about this.

dynamic effects.
I am sure can only be used on the input signal,and not recorded tracks.
This is what i do
One .....record say a guitar.if you decide that it could use an effect
say reverb bounce that guitar with the reverb to another track.
if your happy delete the first guitar track.remember to turn off the effect
when finished.I use a note pad to keep track of the positions of the tracks
as the song gets more complex.
Hope this helps.

That's the method that I had used to put compression on the bodhran, and when comparing the 2 tracks I find its sounds even better when both tracks are played with the rest of the music, and I do keep notes from using my previous recorder, as there was times I had to use virtual tracks.

It would have been good to be able to use the dynamic effect during playback, but theres a few other things that would have been good to have on this unit, but still, Im very impressed and happy with it.

You're right, you can only use the Dynamics Effects on the inputs, but there is a bit of overlap - I highlighted them in bold so you can quickly find the effect you want, then see which of the 3 types fits your routing requirements, e.g. if you want a compressor during playback, there's one in the Guitar Insert Effect - there's only one, so you can only insert it in one track at a time, but it may get you by.
I also get a bit of background hiss from the monitor output, but this isn't present on the recording.

Thanks bud

I read through your thread again and some things have falling into place. I,ll deal with send effects and guitar effect.

Example,
Track 1 has a clean electric picking guitar, I go to guitar effect and can have all 4 effects going together, I choose compression, noise compression, I then have a choice of 6 cabinets from the amp effect section, I choose 2 x 12 A, and then I have a choice of 6 effects from guitar FX section, I choose the chorus, making sure all effects have been selected for track 1. From now, these effects are not available for any other tracks, but I do have the option of using one of the 3 send effects, I choose delay, making 5 different effects on track 1. I also have a few options, as I can choose from 2 different chorus effects and 2 different delays.

I bounce this track, and although I haven't tried this yet, I take it that I could add on more effects to the bounced track, not that I would often use loads of effects on guitar, but I do sometimes.

Its good to know that I can pick 1 of the 3 send effects and use it on all or selected tracks, at the same time.

I learned everything that I need to know about this machine for my style of recording, anything else now is a bonus.

And cheers Phil for the Reset song tip that I picked up on your youtube vid, great trick.

Last edited:
You got it spot on :)
Yes you can always add more effects to the bounced track as there's nothing special about it.
Glad it's coming together for you - the designers haven't made it easy with their bizarre choice of names and screen sharing for the effects, but it kind of makes sense after a while :)

Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me which output is best for listening to mixes. Is it the stereo
out or monitor out. My DP monitor outs is connected to a Focusrite 6x6. Has anyone out there tried
to transfer files from DP32 to DAW via either the stereo or monitor outputs on the DP.
Just got my unit and still have lot's to learn. I would like to use the DP (because it is so portable)
as a tracker and then transfer files into Logic pro x. Are the files when they are transfered to
the DAW exactly the same in audio fidelity.

Welcome to the forum, Gil Yslas.
Are the files when they are transfered to the DAW exactly the same in audio fidelity.
When transferred to a D.A.W., the track files retain the same audio quality.

Can anyone tell me which output is best for listening to mixes. Is it the stereo
out or monitor out. My DP monitor outs is connected to a Focusrite 6x6

...I would like to ... transfer files into Logic pro x. Has anyone out there tried to transfer files from DP32 to DAW via either the stereo or monitor outputs on the DP

The sticky threads in the shaded area of the first page of this forum cover 99.9% of any issue or question you're likely to have as you learn the ropes, including how to use which outputs for what purpose; and how to properly and correctly move your tracks into a D.A.W.

You'll find excellent tutorial videos covering every aspect of portastudio operations and use; and lots of cool things you can do with your portastudio. I suggest looking at the sticky indexes and skimming the individual posts to get a real sense of how much you can accomplish with your portastudio.

If you haven't yet, since you're a new member and new to your portastudio, I strongly suggest reading the "New Members" sticky thread for very important/critical information about the DP-24/32/SD units and how to best make use of this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.