Dp 32SD or Model 24. Which one?

Grambo

Gear owned
Tascam model 16, Zoom L12
Hi. Im new to the forum and would like some advice please. I live mostly in NZ and travel to Canada for a few months a year. I have a model 16 which is in Canada but I havent used it yet due to Covid restrictions. I own a zoom L12 in NZ but am looking for a mixer recorder with more channels. Im thinking of getting either the dp32sd or model 24. I make music at home alone and input one channel at a time with different instruments and mix/master on the console at present. I have ableton 10 but dont like using the computer. I use alot of outboard effects and use the onboard eq/effects to clean up the sound. Has anyone used both the model 16/24 and Dp24/32 units and what would you recommend I buy. Which has the better recorded sound/clarity preamps in your opinion. Maybe this has been covered in another thread. Thanks for any help.

Hello Grambo,
I have both the DP24SD and the Model 12 units and personally, I like the Model unit. I have not gotten much use out of the DP24 and it is more complicated for me to use, but once you get it down, there are several other features that you do not have in the Model units without using a DAW, like editing and virtual tracks. I personally like to just turn on and start recording and that is where the Model 12, 16, 24 shines as well as the superb sound and quality mic preamps.
I am considering getting the Model 24 since I love the analog console simplicity and would be running Aux outs to my Model 12's 8 inputs for processing through to the DAW (since the Model 12 has the 12 channel usb out to the computer/DAW), or direct recording on the Model 12 as needed and then transfer to the DAW for post production. I may be going at it the hard, or long way, not sure, but have some time to really think it through to save up for the Model 24. To me, the Tascam Model units are the better route for quick easy recording if you are using mostly outboard gear. Just keep in mind that you don't have much editing functions unless you transfer the file to a DAW for processing, which forces you to get the recording right from the initial recording. Since I do 80-90% live recording, this is the route I take.

Reactions: Grambo
The "Basic Facts" sticky thread may be helpful. It has basic information comparing the FOH Model series and the portastudios.

The "Basic Facts" sticky thread may be helpful. It has basic information comparing the FOH Model series and the portastudios.
Thanks. I cant find any basic facts or sticky thread option on the home page.

Hello Grambo,
I have both the DP24SD and the Model 12 units and personally, I like the Model unit. I have not gotten much use out of the DP24 and it is more complicated for me to use, but once you get it down, there are several other features that you do not have in the Model units without using a DAW, like editing and virtual tracks. I personally like to just turn on and start recording and that is where the Model 12, 16, 24 shines as well as the superb sound and quality mic preamps.
I am considering getting the Model 24 since I love the analog console simplicity and would be running Aux outs to my Model 12's 8 inputs for processing through to the DAW (since the Model 12 has the 12 channel usb out to the computer/DAW), or direct recording on the Model 12 as needed and then transfer to the DAW for post production. I may be going at it the hard, or long way, not sure, but have some time to really think it through to save up for the Model 24. To me, the Tascam Model units are the better route for quick easy recording if you are using mostly outboard gear. Just keep in mind that you don't have much editing functions unless you transfer the file to a DAW for processing, which forces you to get the recording right from the initial recording. Since I do 80-90% live recording, this is the route I take.

Thanks. I do try and record the sound I want with outboard gear to minimise the work in the console also. I also love the simplicity I have with my zoom L12 but I wonder if the DP might become simple with a bit of time on it. How do you find the sound quality of the M24 compared to the DP. Are they essentially as good as each other for clarity. I guess the mastering tools on the DP are a reason to choose it. Units are expensive in NZ. Cheapest M24 is $2000 here and $800 for the DP 24SD so I need to choose one or the other. I dont like using a DAW. By the time Im finished recording and mixing a song on the console Im done with it and just want to master on the console and move on. Cheers

I can relate.

Thanks. I do try and record the sound I want with outboard gear to minimise the work in the console also. I also love the simplicity I have with my zoom L12 but I wonder if the DP might become simple with a bit of time on it. How do you find the sound quality of the M24 compared to the DP. Are they essentially as good as each other for clarity. I guess the mastering tools on the DP are a reason to choose it. Units are expensive in NZ. Cheapest M24 is $2000 here and $800 for the DP 24SD so I need to choose one or the other. I dont like using a DAW. By the time Im finished recording and mixing a song on the console Im done with it and just want to master on the console and move on. Cheers

You cannot do Mastering practically on the Model series, which apparently were designed to be used with a DAW. So the only choice is the DP if you want to stay away from using a computer in the process.

That link is the top level of this forum. At the top of the messages are posts that are "pinned" also referred to as "sticky" and that is what we are referring to. You have to scroll down a bit. They have a light blue color.

Can you record on the DP24SD and then transfer the tracks to the Model24?

Importing and exporting are supported on both machines.

ok.. but can you specifically export from the DP24SD to the Model 24 and vice versa?

Define what you mean by "specifically export." Can you connect a cable between them? No. As I said, both units support import and exporting audio. The audio has to match the settings of the song, e.g. 24 bit/48 kHz.

If you need MIDI.....
Model series, or try to find the non SD version of the DP32
Or - depending on how you feel about old-school gear: the 2488xxx's are pretty excellent. I have the 'neo and consider it a fine piece o' gear.
I've come to favor my O/G DP32...but still have my 'neo!

Reactions: Rocky

New threads

Members online