DP 32SD wav import

Phantom Engineer

Gear owned
DP 32SD portastudio
I just recently got a DP 32SD. I hope someone here is familiar with the import/export functions. I know the menu function "Song" is for creating a new song but when I import existing wav tracks it has me put them in "Audio Depot". So how do I get those tracks to show up in "Song" so I can I can use them as if they were recorded on the unit?
The manual really doesn't give a clear cut difference between the practical uses of Song" and "Audio Depot".

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an in depth answer. I think I'm going to grab that DVD from Amazon.

It is helpful. I've been using my DP32 a lot since November and I really like it but I could think of a few improvements. But most of them would probably make it more expensive. At first I thought the import/export functions were kind of clunky but I have gotten used to it and use it a lot. I often record on the DP then export to Sound Forge for normalize/reverb/compression kind of stuff and then back to the DP for the final mix. There's a lot of things I just like doing better on the computer screen instead of the DP's little screen. It's a pretty good device though, I'm glad I bought it. Like many things it just takes a little while to know your way around it.

Everyone may know this already, but, just in case: the main issue when importing tracks from the Audio Depot folder to a song on the DP-32 (or DP-24) is that the bit rate/resolution of the imported tracks must match the song's bit rate/resolution.
I like to record at the highest setting: 24/4800. If you try importing a track that is different from the song, you will get an error displayed.
The good news is if you do have a track that is different, most DAW's will allow you to import that track and then you can export it again at the proper bit rate/resolution and then you pull it into the Audio Depot folder again, etc. It will then work.
Converting a 16/44.1 file to 24/4800 (for instance) shouldn't change the sound in any noticeable way (unless you're like an engineer friend of mine who seems to be able to hear the slightest change).

New threads

Members online