DP24 Mixdown Question/Help

Tony Robinson

Gear owned
DP24sd
Hi. I am new to the DP24sd. Have just finished a song and trying to mixdown. My question is that at a certain point in the song I wish to change multiple faders/levels at one point. Problem being that with all the will in the world I just do not have enough fingers to change 8 different faders in on e split second. Is there a way to do this. If I stop the mixdown and do a new in/out point and carry on recording with the new levels set, it just creates a new mixdown of that section. Any ideas? I'm sure this must be a simple editing technique. am I being silly and missing something simple? Cheers

No you're not missing anything. These recorders are powerful tools - but they do have some limitations. Automated faders is one feature they do not have.

In most cases - there is usually a work-around - however inconvenient.

I have not been in your position- maybe others who have can chime in and offer advice.

You may be able to do bounces of the individual tracks and add those volume/level adjustments one by one and them send all those to mixdown?

Another more obvious possibility is to get another set of hands there with you and make the adjustments in real time that way.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I just can't help thinking this must be a quite common thing to want to do. I can remember doing it on a few occasions on my old zoom mrs. Can't remember exactly how. Think it was a case of just stopping the recording of mixdown and then setting the new levels/muting tracks etc and then resuming record. But as I say when I go to try that on the dp it just starts again from the in point..

Am thinking you are right though. If there is no way of switching multiple levels in mixdown, I guess I would have to bounce all the tracks on the second section into one track then I will be able to control that easily in mixdown. I have not used Bounce so there is another thing to learn. I presume I am right in thinking that bouncing is being able to record multiple tracks onto one other track?

...I just can't help thinking this must be a quite common thing to want to do. I can remember doing it on a few occasions on my old zoom mrs...
RTFM... Did you see the section about "Fader Group" in the manual? It sounds like you are looking exactly for that.

Reactions: David Porter
Ah yes! I forgot about that feature. My apologies - I know my way around this machine pretty well- but there are features that I forget about if I don't have regular need for it. This is not the first time I've brainfarted.:)

By the way Tony - be sure to watch the Tipping videos if you haven't already.

You can use Mixdown mode to mix several tracks at a time to submixes which are easier to handle during the final Mixdown.

I would bounce down one or two tracks at a time, manually moving the faders, repeating until they are all done.

Reactions: -mjk-
In the Production Tips section there are numerous posts about doing complex submixes or bounces. One advantage of doing a submix in Mixdown mode is that you can apply multiband compression and EQ to those tracks and re-import them into the machine hi using the Mastering tools . That overcomes the limitation of not having multiband compression during the recording process.

Dang it - I gave Tony bad info and I'm afraid he's not returned to see that I was mistaken. Sorry, Tony - my bad.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Think the bouncing down was easiest way to overcome this. Couldn't see a way of getting group faders to be relevant when all the faders need to go up/down at lots of different amount. With bounce I can just to get those tracks onto one track which is then obv easier to bring into the mix at the point where everything changes. Serves me at my amateur level anyhow!

Tony, bouncing is a tried and true engineering practice. Everyone does it. Whatever you can put together ahead of time means a less complex mix. Glad to hear you have a working solution.

And unlike with tape - bouncing in the digital realm is lossless. No degradation. It just takes a little more time.

bouncing down in the digital realm as opposed to cassette tape = BLISS :)

those of us that went thru it laugh at those wishing to go back to tape

Unless it's 2" tape at 30 ips.

yeah I was gonna edit to add 'cassette' but thought who would even remember 2" tape hehe

Those of us who did hundreds of sessions in that format :cool:

Reactions: dctdct

New threads

Members online