DP24SD Smallest step with the jog wheel

Saxomohawh

Veteran
Gear owned
Dp 24 sd
According to the manual on page 45: When viewing the waveform it is possible to move with the jog wheel in steps of 1/10 frame, which is 3.3 ms. I find that the smallest step is 0.5 frame, which is 17 ms. Am I missing something?

It zooms in on the waveform, but the smallest step I can move is still the same.

Step-by-Step guide,section 54: "How to scroll the transport to a precise point" ... shameless plug ;) :)
I checked the resolution of the IN & OUT points as Mark raised some doubts in my mind, but they can also be set to 1/10th frame (3.3ms).
I did notice that numbered markers (where you just press MarkSet) can only be set a minimum of 1/2 frame apart, e.g. if you set a marker at 00:00:00.00.0, then move to any of the positions 00:00:00.00.1 to 00:00:00.00.4, pressing the MarkSet button will remove the first marker, whereas pressing it at 00:00:00.00.5 creates a new marker.
This just affects how close they can be together; you can still set them to any 1/10th frame boundary.

The thing is I know I can zoom in, and I have tried this before when I was just learning the recorder. I guess I never zoomed ALL the way in to the highest resolution. But, yes, there it is possible to adjust with increments of 3.3 ms. Great!

About the videos, they are great! I have watched them (a while ago). But I am just not going through a couple of hours again to maybe find details like this.

No worries, glad you sorted it out. I was meaning the PDF guide - it takes a different approach to the videos. I don't think the videos mention marker points so just as well you didn't waste time looking ;)
Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you for the hint Phil I was having that same problem. My real complaint though is that the Jog Wheel on my old Tascam 2488 worked better. I was able to put the jog wheel exactly where I wanted it and was not concerned with it moving 1/10th frame or .05 or whatever. I wish they could do a firmware update where you could be more precise and put it exactly where you want it to go. The way it is now on my DP32SD it's almost like it has snap to turned on, even when I zoom into the wave file.

Reactions: mariusvideo
No worries parputt, but....
I wish they could do a firmware update...
no point wishing - this forum isn't run by Tascam so drop them a line and suggest it :) There's contact info on their support page.
It might come to nothing, but as my good lady says: if you don't ask, you don't get! :)

Reactions: David Porter
I wish they could do a firmware update where you could be more precise and put it exactly where you want it to go. The way it is now on my DP32SD it's almost like it has snap to turned on, even when I zoom into the wave file.

I hope too that in a future firmware Tascam will update with a more precise (or totally free) positioning of the jog wheel position on the waveform, this because will be easy to creaate proper drum loops. How the dp-32 is now is not possible to cut where the audio material really starts and with drum is necessary to work with the maximum precision.

There is a way to get much more precise with the jog wheel which Phil mentions above. I normally use the kick drum track to find the spot I want to use for my in point and out point and if it is not precise enough because the jog wheel skips .5 frames push the 3:00 button to zoom in as far as you can go and then move the jog wheel. If you notice it is now moving in .1 frames instead of .5 frames. After you have gotten where you think you want it, zoom out using the 9:00 button and you will find it is much more precise and probably where you want to put you in and out. Before you do your copy and paste or whatever you are trying to do, make sure you change the track selected from the kick drum (in my case) to the track you want to perform the paste to. This method does work for me but I still think the jog wheel on my old Tascam2488 was better.

Hello Parput,

I have tried with the jog and zoom, it does the job of the 1/10f ok but You can see in this image that the nearest point to the beginning of the waveform that I can et like IN point is that you can see in the image below, with the red arrow and with drum clips is not the best position...

The green arrow indicates the ideal starting point for the waveform where I should cut It to copy and paste on the 1 beat of a bar to use the clip like loop, copying and pasting sequentially It along the tracks (usually is best to alternate between 2 near tracks to avoid strange noises and clicks on audio, I have experienced this on the dp32).

The nearest next point possible to set goes over the start of the waveform, sometimes I can plase the cutting point where I want but the trick of zoom, set, dezoom etc is not science :)

KAvBBNF.jpg

ekgeDJc

Last edited:
Working on the DP-32 in these days I am learning to cut well the samples and It seems working better...

New threads

Members online