KitF

From
Co. Mayo, Ireland
Website
www.velvetarrows.com
Gear owned
DP-32SD and DP-008
Hi,
I am new to this forum and have just upgraded to a DP32 from a DP008EX. It's a big step up and I'm currently running through Phil's tutorials (big thank you, Phil) to try and get up to speed. I am loving it so far.

Being a newbie, I need a bit of advice about output and monitoring. Also I'm not very technical but trying to learn. I currently use the RCA outputs to my Mackie active monitors, which also have TRS balanced option. I have also added a leptop to my setup as I am trying out EZ Drummer2 which is a standalone VST. My laptop speakers are rubbish so I need to route it through an audio interface to get a better full sound. Can I route the DP32 through the interface just for sound so that the laptop and the DP32 sound can come out together through the speakers. The speakers only allow one set of inputs at any one time.

That way I can work on the drum track while listening to the DP32 tracks. Will this work or will something blow up??

I will import the drum track as a .wav into the audio depot once it is finished. I'm not looking to record it directly from the laptop to the DP as I don't think that is possible.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to buy the wrong thing or damage anything. I was looking at the Tascam US 1x2.

Welcome to the forum and glad the videos are helping. One way (to save buying an interface!) is to use the dp32 as the hub and run the laptop through it. If you are not planning using all the dp32 inputs, use 2 of them for stereo from the laptop (or just one for mono) - you'll probably need a special cable to convert 1/8" stereo output to 2 x 1/4" jacks. Assign those inputs to the stereo bus (set the input pans left/right if you want to hear stereo), and the laptop/EZ drummer signal will then go straight through to your Mackies (levels are controlled via the mixer screen). It won't be recorded so won't interfere with your track signals.
You could assign these to tracks for recording the drums later, but you'd get better quality doing it the way you mentioned via audio depot.
You could still route things though an interface if you want. I'm not familiar with the US 1x2 interface, but someone else may be able to advise.

Reactions: David Porter
Thanks Phil, that sounds like a plan worth trying. It would be good not to have to spend €100 or so on an AI. So I basically run from the headphone jack on my laptop with a cable that splits into 2x 1/4 ". Would that be 2 x TRS or TS?

Short answer: TS
Long answer: The headphone output socket will be TRS, where the stereo left signal is typically on the tip, and the right on the ring. Each of these signals is mono and unbalanced, so your splitter cable needs to take each of these to separate jack plugs for the DP32. 1/4" TS plugs are all you need - each signal would go to the tip. There are some pictures of these in the step-by-step guide.
The quality from the headphone socket will vary depending on how good your laptop is, but it should be sufficient for monitoring while you are trying out accompaniments. When you're ready to transfer the drum track to the dp32, I presume EZ Drummer has an option to export its output as a wave file. If so, the quality will be the best it can be, so copying to AudioDepot and importing it will be perfect as it bypasses any degradation you'd get if you recorded the audio direct from the laptop headphone socket.

Reactions: -mjk-
Ok. Thanks. I just had a look on Amazon and there's plenty of choice for that type of splitter and most for under a tenner. Great info - much appreciated.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.