Dp32 reamping ?

drewski

Gear owned
tascam dp 32
Hey Tascam,

DP32 user here. Hope you guys can answer my question.

Do I have to use a reamp box or is it safe to send a signal from the effect sends of my dp32 to my tube guitar amp for reamping tracks?

Signal path Ex:

Dp32 fx send > tube guitar amp/guitar pedals > Dp32 input

Or

Dp32 fx send > reamp box > tube guitar amp/guitar pedals > Dp32 input

Im not sure because the manual says effect sends:
Rated output level -10 dB
Total output level +6 dB

I've read that if your consumer line level is at -10 dB you don't need a reamp box BUT I don't know.

I've tried reamping thru some effect pedals and sounded pretty good. I don't think I've damaged anything.

I am new to reamping and inpedance matching and don't want to destroy my tube amp. Would I need a reamp box like radial or little labs reamp boxes to do this safely?

I know it's bad tact to revive old threads but I need an answer to this question still in 2019.

Welcome to the Tascam Forums, @Tyler . Nothing wrong with revisiting old threads.

I would start by trying it with the Send at infinity (full anti-clockwise and 0). Then I'd bring up the Send level slowly and see how it sounds. If you get what you want, then that's cool. Only you can decide if it sounds good enough to use as-is.

I will try this out later tonight and report back! Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: -mjk-
Tried it, works and sounds great! Brought both Send settings up to about 86 and kept them there. I can even record two guitar amps with two microphones each if I utilize both Sends. Saved myself $200 on a reamp box, which means I can buy more pedals!

Last edited:
I have a DP24SD. I'm trying to re amp a dry guitar that's on Track 6 back to track 5. I have the Send 1 out to a Kemper and out of the Kemper back to the unit to record on Track 5. I don't hear anything being recorded on track 5. Am I missing something here? Any help is appreciated.

1. Is the return input assigned to track 5?
2. Is track 5 in Record arm mode?
3. Is track 5 fader up?

I have it set up like this

Effects send 2 out to input of the Kemper
Line out of the Kemper into the input of the Tascam (assigned to track 50.
Note: The dry guitar DI is on track 6.

When I hit record, I can hear the dry guitar signal on track 6, but track 5 (record track), I now hear a lot of noise and hissing.

What is "the input" you are referring to? Whatever that input is, it must be assigned to track #5.

OK, I think we cross-posted.

You have to adjust the trim on that input channel, as well as adjusting the output on the device until you get proper levels into the track.

Dry guitar is on 6 signal and trying to record that through a Kemper to record to track 5

...re amp a dry guitar that's on Track 6 back to track 5...Send 1 out to a Kemper and out of the Kemper back to the unit to record on Track 5...I don't hear anything being recorded on track 5.
Ted, I'm assuming you read posts #3, #5, and #7 in this thread, so let's proceed from there.

There's a post in the Equipment Tips sticky that will walk you through testing signal flow (the sticky Index is in post #1 of the Equipment Tips sticky). That sticky also has several posts on interfacing outboard gear.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey great thread! I’m going to be recording an album and plan to record each guitar track with sound from my Pod Go and a clean/dry duplicate so I can re-amp later if I want to. Figured out the effects send out and back in deal no problem, my only question is how loud to make the clean/dry tracks. -18/20ish dB or -12ish or louder?
Will be buying some type of DI box because when I go straight from my guitar into the Tascam dry the sound is kind of chopped off and not full.

Since you're working in the digital domain, you don't have to worry about a noise floor like you would with analog tape. Record at a level that keeps those peaks at a safe level and well below overload.

mjk, I am unable to quote your comment for some reason. I generally never go over -12db while recording on my DP-32SD unit, would the -15 to -12 range be good for dry guitar from a DI or should I go hotter? I’m somewhat confused about volume and power and signals and what not.

One more thing while I’m at it, I can hear no difference so far between the “guitar” and “line” switch positions. I’m assuming I should have it set to guitar when recording “dry” with the DI but I’ll also be recording a processed signal from my Pod at the same time... hmmm..

The guitar setting is for a low level, high impedance signal, e.g. plugging in the guitar directly. Line is for line level signals. The DI box converts the signal into a low impedance microphone level signal. So you're converting your guitar into a mic, so to speak. As long as it sounds good, that's fine. But if you need more interaction with the pickups, plug directly into H and switch to guitar.

In the digital domain there is no sweet range for instruments like in analog. It's all about distortion and keeping peaks from going over zero. It doesn't matter if you record at -22 or -12 because you can digitally increase the loudness with no degradation. Take note of the fact that digital does not mean no noise. If your signal is noisy it will be faithfully recorded that way. A digital recording won't remove noise. It just won't add any noise like tape hiss. Keep your signals clean and not peaking. FWIW, I record everything at -12 dBFS.

Reactions: David Porter

New threads

Members online

No members online now.