Dp32/sd files name & import/export

Guttalaser

Gear owned
ipad/iphone mic.
Plz help me to clarify something in my mind:

FIRST QUESTION
The manual sayz that if i want exchange files with my pc i must use the AudioDepot folder.
This is ok about importing file FROM the pc, BUT i can transfer all the tracks of a specific song from the SONG# folder inside the MUSIC folder, so:
What is the difference between the tracks of a song exported in the AudioDepot and the tracks of a song inside the SONG# folder of the MUSIC folder?

SECOND QUESTION:
after a full mixdown and mastering process inside the SONG# folder of the MUSIC folder there are all the files of the recorded tracks and 2 other files named:
SONG_000#_Z.WAV
SONG_000#.WAV
the SONG_000#_Z.WAV is the setereo mixdown file and the SONG_000#.WAV is the mastered file?
Is this correct?

1st; files in the song folder can be just chunks of a track, while after export a complete track is created. Say, you have three times a 10 second guitar riff only after a chorus. One at 1:20, one at 2:05 and one at 2:45. This would result in three 10 second chunks (files) in the song folder, but after exporting, in the audio depot it would be one track from 0:00 to 2:55 with the riffs where they belong.

Reactions: Guttalaser
Tnx Arjan... got it! Cristal clear!

aehmm... nothing about the 2nd question? :p

2nd - it depends. Mixdown and mastering overwrite the same file, and the z file is usually the backup of the other for undo purposes. I think you're right if you just do one mixdown followed by one mastering run, but if you repeat either of these steps, they could both be the same type. I can't remember if that's 100% accurate in all cases - did some tests ages ago but forgot to document the results.
You can check it yourself by looking at the contents of the sd-card each time you mix or master and see what changes.
Personally I wouldn't rely on any file with a z (or ZZ) in its name. You can copy whole song folders for backup & restore purposes only - this will preserve all settings as well as the audio data - but as Arjan says, any files inside the folder apart from that mix/master file are not really meant for playing or editing.

Reactions: Guttalaser
Tnx Phil... well i'll try to "record" a mixdown and then to "record" a a mastering and see what appens with the files names in the song folder and then i'll analyze the 2 files on my pc.
Maybe an easy way is to apply hard EQing and comp (and maybe reverb if it is possible while masterin) so the difference in the 2 file are very distinctive and audible.
For the 1st question, yes now is clear to me: in the song folder there are many chunk for each track, while in the Audio Depot one file for the whole track.
Tnx again!

New threads

Members online