Dp32/sd files name & import/export

Guttalaser

Gear owned
ipad/iphone mic.
Plz help me to clarify something in my mind:

FIRST QUESTION
The manual sayz that if i want exchange files with my pc i must use the AudioDepot folder.
This is ok about importing file FROM the pc, BUT i can transfer all the tracks of a specific song from the SONG# folder inside the MUSIC folder, so:
What is the difference between the tracks of a song exported in the AudioDepot and the tracks of a song inside the SONG# folder of the MUSIC folder?

SECOND QUESTION:
after a full mixdown and mastering process inside the SONG# folder of the MUSIC folder there are all the files of the recorded tracks and 2 other files named:
SONG_000#_Z.WAV
SONG_000#.WAV
the SONG_000#_Z.WAV is the setereo mixdown file and the SONG_000#.WAV is the mastered file?
Is this correct?

1st; files in the song folder can be just chunks of a track, while after export a complete track is created. Say, you have three times a 10 second guitar riff only after a chorus. One at 1:20, one at 2:05 and one at 2:45. This would result in three 10 second chunks (files) in the song folder, but after exporting, in the audio depot it would be one track from 0:00 to 2:55 with the riffs where they belong.

Reactions: Guttalaser
Tnx Arjan... got it! Cristal clear!

aehmm... nothing about the 2nd question? :p

2nd - it depends. Mixdown and mastering overwrite the same file, and the z file is usually the backup of the other for undo purposes. I think you're right if you just do one mixdown followed by one mastering run, but if you repeat either of these steps, they could both be the same type. I can't remember if that's 100% accurate in all cases - did some tests ages ago but forgot to document the results.
You can check it yourself by looking at the contents of the sd-card each time you mix or master and see what changes.
Personally I wouldn't rely on any file with a z (or ZZ) in its name. You can copy whole song folders for backup & restore purposes only - this will preserve all settings as well as the audio data - but as Arjan says, any files inside the folder apart from that mix/master file are not really meant for playing or editing.

Reactions: Guttalaser
Tnx Phil... well i'll try to "record" a mixdown and then to "record" a a mastering and see what appens with the files names in the song folder and then i'll analyze the 2 files on my pc.
Maybe an easy way is to apply hard EQing and comp (and maybe reverb if it is possible while masterin) so the difference in the 2 file are very distinctive and audible.
For the 1st question, yes now is clear to me: in the song folder there are many chunk for each track, while in the Audio Depot one file for the whole track.
Tnx again!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.