DP32SD - Mixing Down Vocal Takes

Panos

Gear owned
Tascam DP32SD
Hi Guys

I was wandering if anyone could help me with the following. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have recorded 2x vocal tracks. Track 1 is the better take, with the exception of a few bits here and there which i want to substitute with Track 2. Does any know how i could delete or silence the unwanted parts of 1 and 2 and just leave the wanted parts which i could mixdown to create my final vocal track? Also, there is a very slight difference in the volume between tracks 1 and 2, so is there anyway i can get the final mixdown to be the same volume from beginning to end?

Probably the easiest way to accomplish what you want is to do a Bounce of both tracks to a new track. You can punch-in the sections you want, use Mutes and adjust the fader levels as you need.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thank you mjk. Sorry, ive not used the bounce and punch in function before. How do i go about doing it?

I suggest watching Phil's videos.

**Why is Panos' second post quotable - but not his first? I don't understand that.:confused:

Thank you mjk. Sorry, ive not used the bounce and punch in function before. How do i go about doing it?

What you're describing is very doable with this machine. But it's not the type of thing that someone can just walk you through with a couple of steps. Respectfully, you really need to dig in, watch the tutorial videos, and really learn, at least, the basic bounce and editing functions (along the way you'll pick up so much more). You'll be so happy you did and you'll be better for it. Plus - it's fun. This machine is very intuitive once you learn it from a block diagram perspective - which is how Mr. Tipping went about his video tutorials. In a sense - the "lesson" or instruction that you're looking for has already been provided for you. It's just a few clicks and a few minutes away.

Keep in mind - that you can skip ahead and just get to the information you're looking for. But I recommend watching those carefully in sequence. Phil put an order there that kind of builds on what came before.

Have a go at that - and if there's still something that's not clear come on back and one of us will be happy to help.:)

Panos, you can also look in the Production Tips sticky for two posts on using virtual tracks. The concept for creating a "perfect take" from multiple takes is there.

As mj suggested, Bouncing and muting works also, and is preferable if you need to match the levels of two different takes. Frankly though, unless it's a very obvious level mismatch, it probably wouldn't matter much down the road. At the mixing stage you can ride gain on the edited track.

I also second David's comments about Phil's video tutorials.

Last edited:
Hey guys thank you so much. I will get stuck into Phil's video's. I think you are right David, i need to learn my way around the machine. Ive only ever recorded using a DAW before so this is totally new to me. My ambition is to record an album's worth of material and then use a laptop to mix and master further down the line.

Just out of interest, what do you guys use the DP32SD for? One of my music idols is Elliott Smith which is the reason i bought the Tascam in the first place and i would like to emulate what he did with his early albums. I also wanted my hobby not to involve computer screens!!!

I use mine (the original DP-32 with MIDI) to cut tracks, and I use MIDI quite a bit. I mix with another system.

what do you guys use the DP32SD for?
I have the original DP-24 with MIDI and CD recorder/player.

I also have a MIDI'd Beatbuddy; and a TC-Helicon Harmonizer (rarely used now), and a Digitech RP360 (a smorgasbord of digital guitar pedals/effects).

I usually work entirely within the DP-24 environment, recording myself doing cover songs strictly for retirement fun n' giggles now "on the other side of the microphone". :)

Once in while I'll bring a stereo master track into Reaper to change pitch or tempo slightly; otherwise I'm DAW averse. I produce much better results using the DP-24.;)

Last edited:
I'm mostly a weekend warrior that rarely finishes anything worth sharing. Mostly due to time restraints and short attention span. And I'm picky about my work. I'll often go a month or longer with zero activity in my home studio - only to follow that with a flurry of activity for a while. My work dictates that.

I also mostly work entirely in the DP-32SD. Occasionally I'll move some files into Cubase - mostly to play with plugins - or to do some more precise editing. But I get so bogged down with trying to figure things out that those sessions rarely last long. Cubase is fun. But it's so complicated.... I find myself just wanting to get back to creating instead of dicking around.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.