Dr-05 vs dr-07 mk ii

James Wood

Gear owned
Will buy soon
Hi, all

I am currently considering DR-05 and Dr-07 Mk II for recording meetings & interviews.

Considering that DR-05 has omnidirectional stereo and DR-07 Mk II has unidirectional stereo, I felt that it would be good to clarify the differences in real life applications and which would be a better choice for my usage.

In addition, I would also like to check in general, whether Tascam audio recorders are suitable for recording voices in meeting and interview situations, since it appears the main target group appears to be broadcast/music personals.

Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Regards,
James Wood

The difference between the two is that the DR-05 has a fixed Y-stereo imaging pattern and the DR-07 has a convertible X or Y imaging pattern. Stereo recording uses, of course, two microphones. The imaging for a relatively narrow source is better done with the microphones set in the X pattern so that the positional left microphone is actually recording from the right side and the positional right microphone is actually recording from the left. A wide source is better captured by a Y recording pattern (which is the fixed position of the DR-05).

Generally, it makes very little difference.

I've owned a DR-07, but lost it in an accident. I currently use a DR-05, a DR-22WL and two 60D Mk II recorders. I use all of them for nearly anything, and especially for interviews. They do well both handheld and in a table stand a couple of feet from the speaker's lips. I generally use the 05 and 07 as recording microphones (anywhere I'd use a handheld microphone). If I'm using a separate microphone, I'll use the 60D for its XLR inputs.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online