DR-05X Disk Error - Unable to Resolve

Frank Spencer

Gear owned
Tascam DR-05X
Brand new DR-05X. Powers on, I insert a Scandisk 64GB microSDXC card, and get "MBR Error Init Card Are you Sure?"

Hit play button, get "Invalid Card Change Card message"

Cannot format card on unit. I have tested card in other devices and it works fine. Manual says the DR-05 supports up to 128GB

Please help.

Thank you.

Two things …

I had a look on Tascam’s webpage regarding supported media for the DR-05X and the Sandisk 64GB SDXC isn’t mentioned as a card that’s supported.

Also, as I have mentioned in other threads here, counterfeit memory cards are much more common that one would like to think. It could be that you unfortunately have such a card. Either a card that’s not even 64GB (could easily be verified in a computer) or a card with some other thing wrong with it.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks for the reply. The manual says that a 64GB SDXC card is kosher, but does not speak to brand. The card works fine in other devices. I'm returning the unit and getting another one. This one (for some reason) comes with its own card for same price. Thanks again

Last edited:
it befuddles me that only certain cards will work in Tascam products, I have a DP32SD. Never encountered this issue with any other product.

it befuddles me that only certain cards will work in Tascam products, I have a DP32SD. Never encountered this issue with any other product.
Agreed. It's puzzling why a DP has so much difficulty with SD cards and data management. I suspect it has something to do with the bulk and complexity of the data it has to handle, and the necessity of keeping the unit "competitive" (cheap) and minimizing the processing power/capacity.
Like Bazz sez: I can't think of another device that uses SD cards that has anywhere near this degree of problems.
I don't recall hard-disk drive units having this kind of problem. I've had Tascam's (several 2488's), BOSS BR's, Fostex MR-x's, and ZOOM's, and they ALL worked great (some - like my 2488neo and my ZOOM MRS-1608 - STILL do). In fact, some of my old Fostex's were CF-card based, and I used all KINDS of cards in them - different brands & sizes - and they always worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Logrinn's response was directly on point. The DR-05X owner manual states:
"This unit uses microSD cards for recording and playback. A list of microSD cards that have been confirmed for use with this unit can be found on the TEAC Global Site."

...It's puzzling why a DP has so much difficulty with SD cards and data management...
The DP-24/32/SD owner manual makes a similar statement:
"A list of cards that have been tested with this unit can be found on the TASCAM website. Use of cards that have not been verified for use with this unit could result in the unit not functioning properly."

Going on ten years now, I've used only TASCAM tested/approved SD card brands/models for my projects. I've never had any problems, and that's all I care about.;)

Last edited:
Going on ten years now, I've used only TASCAM tested/approved SD card brands/models for my projects. I've never had any problems, and that's all I care about
Yeah, that's pretty much the bottom line. WHATEVER the reason is for this inexplicable card-compatibility fussiness Tascam's have...fact is: if you select from the list, you will likely have no problems whatsoever, unless you got a fake or the card is somehow damaged. I personally use SanDisk UHS-II 32GB's. They cost a bundle - by SD card standards - but they're lightning fast, easing my workflow/wait times, and are unfailingly reliable/compatible w/my DP-32.

I've also heard here n there that SD cards can actually "wear out" - once they've been through x many read/writes, they start flocking up. I haven't experienced this...but it's a good argument for backing up your work.

On the topic of the future of the P/Studio's (and perhaps other Tascam's?):
I think one of the things that the evolution of the P/Studio concept - assuming it survives and goes forward - will integrate is a newer/better/faster storage system...probably something like a bluetooth connection that streams your data to a microchip brain-implant or something similar (unless fbook beats them to it:rolleyes:).

Reactions: BazzBass
The whole thing about card compatibility tends to be down to which cards they've actually tested - there are so many on the market now so testing them all is impossible - any 'proper' brand should work as they are consistent and reliable. The cheaply made cards and fakes are a different matter - it's easy to make a card look like your customer wants but it won't usually perform as it should.

Reactions: Logrinn
I just bought the Dr-05x today and was having the invalid card change card issue with a sandisk 128gb mircosd. I kept at it however, and on my third try formatting the card on my linux desktop, it worked. In linux mint, the file format option was under other then exFAT. I really thought I was going to have to go buy a new micro sd as others here apparently had to but persistence paid off.

Reactions: Logrinn

New threads

Members online