DR-22WL Firmware 2.0 issue (device frozen!)

tmmlrd

Gear owned
DR-22WL
I installed firmware 2.0 and new release of the Android DR Control app last week.
First test was ok, however first use was a complete failure!
I was recording a live concert with remote control via smartphone (I was also playing within a large band, so remote control was the only option) while after 29 minutes of recording (single file with some marks remotely added to separate tracks) the app got disconnected and was not able to reconnect anymore. However, I could see the red light on the unit solid on, as well as the wifi blue light, so I thought it was just a crash of the app while the recorder was still recording.
Only at the end of the concert (about 1 hour) I realised that the unit was completely frozen, with counter blocked around 29 minutes, and not responsive to any command, including recording stop and even power off. I had to power off the unit disconnecting from external power and removing the batteries!!! Obviously the record was completely lost, not even the first 29 minutes were on the SD card since no file had been saved at all. :(
It seems more a firmware than an app problem, although there is clearly a bug somewhere.
Did someone else experience troubles with the new DR-22WL firmware and/or DR control app?

P.S. Not possible to downgrade to previous firmware (tried without success because the unit does not allow upgrade to a lower version!). Made another test with the same configuration and this time the app was not able to connect. I setup a new wifi connection and this time everything seemed to work ok. How much warranty I have for the succesfull recording of the next performance? My feeling is that a bug is there around in the new firmware, ready to freeze the unit again in the worst possible moment... :eek:

Last edited:
I had the same problem last week after upgrading the firmware to version 2.0. The device was completely frozen after about 25 minutes of recording. Fortunately I could recover the recording by using a file recovery software. In some test sessions I made out the details. The failure does only occur with wifi switched on even if it isn't used by the app.
For me this failure is an absolute no-go for a professional recording device.

Follow on: when after the crash I tried another session, again with wifi, and wasn't able even to connect the app to the unit, I realised that I was still using the old connection I had established with the old firmware and the old app. Started a new wifi connetion and everything worked snoothly for over 1.5 hours of recording, as I already wrote. May a new wifi connection each time improve the reliability of the unit? Someone else tried the same?

P.S. I thought the new wifi connection option would set up a different password, so to prevent untrusted connections, but this is not the case: the numeric password is always the same. I'm wondering which is the real utility of this function... maybe it is just a way to reset the wifi? In this case they should recommend to do each time the wifi is switched on!

Tascam MUST be aware of the Firmware 2.00 issues as I see they have PULLED it from their list of Firmware Updates!!! I tried calling to no avail! I still have time, I could return it? But I have several people waiting to see HOW Tascam respond to my question... are you (Tascam) aware of any problems, and please let us know what you are doing besides having Lunch, as your answering machine told me before it HUNG up on me!

Dewmyster, are you sure of that?
In the EU site the v2.0 of the firmware is still there (see screenshot just taken).
This is not good news...
I completely changed my opinion on this device since I updated the software (probably it was not a good idea to be one of the first in the world to upgrade) :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-12-11-08-31-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-12-11-08-31-09.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2
Same Problem here! :-(
Big concert record waiting next week! Would Need the WLAN function to control the record! Considering changing to another device of another brand. :-(

I wrote to the local distributor weeks ago, they told me they would have forwarded to Tascam my complain.
Today I wrote to Tascam through US website (did not find a contact in the EU site). Hope they will take our complaints into account, we cannot do more than this, I'm afraid.
Should you find an alternative device from another manufacturer which has similar functionalities to the DR-22WL, please share. I could evaluate a replacement, too...

P.S. It is true that v2.0 has been removed from the US website, not from the EU one. I'm crossing my fingers that a fix will be released soon, although we are loosing all our Christmas concert records :-( I should not have upgraded to v2.0 before looking at other customers' feedbacks, I trusted too much in the Tascam brand!

EDIT Dec 19th: The v2.0 is again donwloadable from the US website (still dated Nov 16th). Too bad!!!! I cannot believe a company like Tascam is behaving like this!!!

Last edited:
Tascam released yesterday a new version of the DR Control app for Android OS (V 2.01).
Did someone try it? It can hardly be worse than the previous (!) but does it solve the instability Issue with V2.0 of the firmware?

Due to the nature of the issue (device frozen) I'd say it seems to be more a firware than a app problem, but who knows... On the other hand it is true that as far as I have understood by the posts here issues seem to occur only when using the DR-22WL with remote control with the app...

Please continue share here! Thanks.

Firmware 2.01 has been released last week, release note says:

Maintenance items
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fixes in version 2.01

- Operation stability has been improved.

Did someone tested it? I'm crossing my fingers and will test as soon.

New threads

Members online