DR-40. A lot of noise from handling

Andrew Holder

Gear owned
DR-40
Hi all. I've been finding that you have to be very careful when handling the DR-40, it creates a lot of rustling noise. Not such a problem if you are monitoring the input with headphones, but without, you might get a lot of extraneous noise. Any ideas? I wondered about a sort of rubber sleeve or something. I guess it would be the same handling any sort of mic.
Thanks
Andrew

I've experienced this far more with the DR-05. I usually either keep it in hold and stuff somewhere tight (a bag, pocket etc) when recording with binaural mics, or when using the built in either plant it with a tripod or use a grip (or otherwise leave it stationary). With the DR-40 I'm usually using the XLR for lavs or stationary for internal, so haven't carried it around much but when I have I didn't notice too much of a problem. That said, I'm not sure about a rubber sleave but a grip handle might help you out. Specialty products are available but as I said, I just have a standard small adjustable tripod (the kind that can be used for a camera) and push the legs together and use that as a handle, which works great.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I have a small table top tripod that would work well. I guess you just have to be mindful when handling it. I did try a grip but it was just as bad.

Reactions: Sannicandro

New threads

Members online