DR-40 Microphone Position Detection feature?

tzdvl

Gear owned
DR-40
I just purchased a new DR-40 recorder (firmware version 2.11), and I'm getting familiar with its features and operation.

Everything is working well, and as expected, but one feature (Microphone Position Detection) seems to be missing...

I have read through the Owner's Manual and the Reference Manual, and also checked these forums, and I can't find an answer or a solution.

According to the Reference Manual, the DR-40 is supposed to indicate and warn (with a pop-up message) whenever the internal microphones are set to a position (wide angle or folded in) which is inappropriate for the selected L-R / R-L channel configuration.

From page 33 of the Reference Manual:

"Set the left-right channels of the built in microphone to R-L. When you are using the built-in microphone and the setting is not R-L, [L-R] appears on the home screen."

and, on Page 34:

"Microphone position detection
The following pop-up message appears automatically whenever the left microphone is opened or closed and the left-right channels does not suit the angle of the microphone."

My unit neither indicates the mismatch on the screen or displays the pop-up if the mic position is wrong.

I believe the included Owner's Manual and the most recent Reference Manual are for Firmware version 2.00, and my recorder came with version 2.11. There IS an Owner's Manual Addendum for version 2.1 on the TASCAM website, but the only indicated function change is the switch from "Full Format" to "Erase Format" under the System menu. I can find no information about version 2.11.

Can anyone verify whether the Microphone Position Detection feature has recently been removed, or if the position detector (microswitch?) in my unit is defective?

Thanks!

Hello TZFVL!
I updaten my firmware to 2.30 two weeks ago and I can tell you that the pop up window shows up upon changing the position of the internal mics.
So this feature still exists. Update the firmware to 2.30 and see if everything is fine. Otherwise I would contact your local dealer.
Take care.

Thanks, T.aurus,
I will contact TASCAM support. I think the position detector "switch" in my unit might be defective.
I am hesitant to upgrade the firmware, because everything else in my unit is working perfectly, and the newer firmware versions only add extra languages, which I don't need.

After waiting a few days for TASCAM support to respond to my request for assistance, I decided to just return the DR-40 to the dealer for a replacement.

The new DR-40 arrived today, and everything works perfectly. Looks like the microphone position switch was just broken.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.