DR-40 recording time in 4-channel mode with 32 GB card

Duked

Gear owned
tascam dr 40
Hi all,

The DR-40 manual says this about recording time:
8 GB card size > stereo WAV 96/24 file > 4:08 (4 hours)
"For dual and 4-channel recording in WAV/BWF format, the recording times are about half those shown above."

Using this logic, with a 32 GB card in 4-channel mode, the recording time should be 8 hours.
(Card size is four times bigger, 4 * 2:04)

My experience with a Kingston 32 GB card: the recording time with 96/24 WAV files in 4-channel mode is only 1:02:06 (1 hour)

What is the problem?

Thanks,
Duked

Hi all,

I found the solution (or the reply) for the question:
The DR-40 records the 8 hours duration correctly in several audio files.
The problem - what makes the confusion on the user's side (I wasn't the first here on this forum) - is that the DR-40 reports (incorrectly!) only 1:02:06 (1 hour) recording time, regardless I use a 2 GB or a 32 GB card.

The question can be closed.
Thanks,
Duked

I expect this to be the same in the DR-40, but in the DR-100 manual it is mentioned that the maximum recording time is dependent on recording sample frequency and bit rate (and ultimately card size).

This is simply because due to the limitations of the card's file system (FAT32 I expect) the file size is limited and therefor each maximum chunk of data in your example relates to 1 hour. You'll see that by halving the sample rate, you recording time doubles - but file size for both will be the same.

Yes but I want to use the DR-40 in 24/96 / 4 track mode. That's why I purchased it. :)
This is a bad and misleading way of calculating the remaining recording time of just the actual 2 GB file (that is just to be written).

Anyway, with a 32 GB card this will not be an issue for me, it is enough size. And the sound of the recording is nice! :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.