DR-40X for mixing

Bambi

Veteran
Hello, I write to you to ask you a couple of questions about the DR-40X recorder. I'm weighing the idea of buying the recorder but it depends on if it will do what I need. My idea is to use it as a mixer rather than a recorder. I'd like to mix 3 external files together, 2 mono and 1 stereo. I've considered the option of buying a specific Tascam multitrack recorder, but the 6 and 8 track gear available doesn't work with 24 bits, and the bigger multitracks are too big or complex for what I need. I need to work with 24 bit files due to signal to noise reasons (my recorded source is very soft). In fact, I'd use my DR-100 MK3 for recording the files, as it has the best signal to noise ratio available, and use the DR-40X only for mixing. So I have 2 questions with which I need some help:

1) Will the DR-40X work to mix a couple of mono WAV files together with 1 stereo WAV file, all loaded in from my computer to the Tascam?

2) I'll need to cut part of the initial files to synchronize them as precisely as possible, as I'll be mixing them for a song. So I'd like to know how accurate is the "File dividing" tool of the DR-40X. Does it have a 1 second precision or better (fractions of a second)?

New threads

Staff online

Members online