DR-44WL Firmware issues

Capnkurf

Gear owned
Tascam DR 44WL
Let me start out by asking.... Is this a joke ? After spending countless hours with trying to get my DR-44wl linked my DR Control on my Android phone I have finally thrown in the towel. It did work several months ago and it seemed to have worked fine. Now it will not connect and says I must update Firmware. I have searched many sites to get info on how to update the firmware and done so several times. The Dr control still does not recognize my DR-44WL recorder. I am not sure that I have the right firmware update or that I am updating the utility file correctly. All I know is that there is no wifi connection.
Does anyone out there in Tascam Forum Land have the key to DR-44WL firmware update mystery ?
Thanks for any help with this issue,,,,, George

In my experience and, I believe, others' DR Control is unreliable. Sometimes it works; more often it doesn't. I can connect my Android Moto Z to the recorder (in Device mode) and control it, usually. I usually cannot connect to the recorder in Router mode. I agree it's a PITA.

The current DR-44WL firmware download (v2.11) is at https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-44wl/download . The update procedure is a pdf in the firmware zip and here: https://tascam.com/downloads/products/tascam/dr-44wl/E_DR-44WL_FW-Update_vC.pdf .

What software or device tells you to upgrade?

Reactions: Capnkurf
Hi GT.... Thanks for your time.
OK so I downloaded the firmware update that you had included, as well as the pdf instructions and proceeded to update. I went in to the utility folder on the dr44wl and deleted all the previous stuff I had dragged in and then dragged in the new firmware update. I then completed the update process and sure enough it appears as if I successfully updated the system from Vers, 1.12 to 2.11 and wifi vers. from 1.01 to 2,00. Great ........ in fact the font in display had gotten larger, as I had read in another forum thread.
So now I proceeded to try to connect via DR Control on my android phone and it will not recognize the DT44WL. I went through the android firmware update procedure and I think it is updated, but not sure. Even tried uninstalling DR Control and reinstalling, still with no success,
Have a clue as to what is going on here ?
Thanks .......... George

If you would allow a stupid question, did you try to connect your phone directly to the DR-44WL by wi-fi before opening DR control?

Michel suggested:
> ... did you try to connect your phone directly to the DR-44WL...

The recorder's WiFi can be in two modes, "Router" and "Device", selected in Menu/Tools/WiFi.

Router mode means that the recorder connects to an Access Point, just like your phone or tablet does. You need to configure the SSID and password on the recorder to match your WiFi access point, which these days is usually your router. If successful, the recorder will be connected to your network as a client just like your phone and WiFi'd computers are.

Device mode means the recorder is an AP to which the phone connects. In Device mode, turn the recorder's WiFi on (press the WiFi button) and acknowledge "Connect to New Device?" (press Enter). A random number password will be suggested. On your phone then connect to the "DR-44WL - xxxxxxxx" WiFi AP listed - instead of your router. If you are asked for a password, use the one the recorder provided. The phone should then connect to the recorder. Run the DR Control app; you should then be able to control the recorder from the phone. When you turn the recorder's WiFi off or power the recorder down the phone should revert back to your router, as usual.

In theory, using Router mode also allows the phone and recorder to communicate via a common access point to which both are connected. I rarely have success with that mode.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Whoever has your TASCAM does not do firmware updates, I lost my DR40 in this game.

This company needs to learn how to better support its customers.

A big thanks to all that responded to my firmware update issues.
Just to let you know that I successfully updated firmware and now have connectivity on my Android phone. It is working flawlessly........
Thanks

New threads

Members online