timmdrumm

From
Kansas, USA
Website
www.timmbiery.com
Gear owned
DM 4800 DM 3200 MX2424s
Hello Everyone,

I've had a DM 3200 for over 12 years with really no issues to speak of, but as time has passed it's gotten a little long in the tooth - sticking pots that will not respond to cleaning, occasional fader read issues, etc.

I had the chance to pick up a DM 4800 a few weeks ago for a great price, including a flight case. The console had been gently used (in an academic setting at a college I am quite familiar with) and I felt it was time to make the move.

It's in pristine shape. Though the fan was making a horrendous noise when it arrived, I opened it up and saw the cabling had moved right up against it causing a loud rattle. After securing the cabling away from the fan, It's as quiet as can be.

However - it started getting the "all audio has stopped" error after about a week of light use. The error occurs after it's been running for about 6 hours (as someone else had mentioned in another thread) and will happen whether the board is passing audio at the time or not. My studio is pretty cool @ 70 to 72f, and it's sitting on a desk that's open on all sides.

I contacted Tascam and they referred me to Tap Electronics in CA. Now I have to say I've been used to a little better service from Tascam through the years, being able to talk with techs to troubleshoot various things has really been a life saver in the past, so having them tell me to send it in was a bit of a let down. I did manage to get the service rep to explain my issue to the tech who said it was possibly 3 things, but he was reading from the service manual and has no experience with the desk:
  1. Loose connection between DDMP and Main PCB
  2. Defect of DDMP PCB
  3. Firmware bug
Tascam has no more of the boards that could be going bad (the one cmaffia discussed in his repair thread). I do have my 3200 which I could scavenge for parts, but I read in a thread here about someone installing a 3200 board in the 4800 and the console not working properly after that, so I'm a bit hesitant.

I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions. Perhaps upgrading the fan? Installing additional fans?

I know the 2seemy mod adds a usb connector which could be used for a fan, but they are shut down due to Covid.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Timm

Timm, you mention that it came in a flight case, so my first question is whether or not it is sitting in the bottom of the case while in use in your studio. I ask because there are vents on the bottom that could be obstructed in that case causing heat build up.
Secondly, concerning the 2Seemy: I may have an unused, still in the box 2Seemy interface for sale. I just had my first blue line appear in my DM4800 screen and have opted to try the Luxdisplays LED replacement. It's on the way (Ordered two weeks ago), and if it works out, I won't have any need for the 2Seemy. I've had it for about three years sitting in reserve just in case, still in the box, never used.
Anyway, I thought of the case issue with respect to heat build up and wanted to pass that along.

Jack

Thanks, Jack.

No, the console sits on a custom built desk with a solid oak platform allowing for unobstructed circulation on all sides and bottom.

Let me know how the Luxdisplays LED works out. The screen on this 4800 was heavily lined, so I replaced it with the one from my DM 3200. Can always use a backup.

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much and picked up another DM 4800 DDMP board. I'll upgrade the fan as well, but things are under control. Thanks again.

Good morning Timmdrumm
Thanks for the info on your resolution.
I have the same problem on the 4800 with the same message.
I kindly ask you if you still have the old DDMP4 card and if you are willing to sell it
It would be enough that it worked for some time so that I can do a test.
Everything else about the mixer works. The only diagnostic test that isn't ok is the one on the 4 DDMPs.
Thanks a lot if you can help me.
Giuseppe from Italy

New threads

Members online

No members online now.