Duplicate a Track? (Model 12, but may apply to all)

mattchee

Gear owned
Model 12, DP-006, Porta07
Hi! I know that you can move one track to another track, but is there a way to duplicate a track. Meaning, say I recorded audio to track one, and I wanted to duplicate it to track 2, so that I had the same audio information on both tracks.

I'm guessing no, but hoping I'm wrong. This is probably not something people need often - since ordinarily you'd want a second take to double track an instrument - however when I record bass for metal in a DAW, I duplicate the track and then EQ each differently, one bringing out the low end, and one bringing out the gritty picking sounds. Sounds super metal! \m/

Anyhow, was hoping there is a simple solution for this - but if not there might be some work arounds like bouncing the track to the master and then moving that over, or actually going into the SD and duplicating the wav file (re-naming it for the new track - not sure if that will work or not).

Using a Model 12 - but I'm sure this would be functionally the same in the 16 or 24....

I think I answered my own question - I was looking at the manual to see if I missed anything. There does not seem to be a set way. However, if I bounce the single track out to 11/12, I could swap those into two new tracks, thereby having duplicated the track.

Another option is to do what countless musicians have been doing for decades and that is to do a second (and third, and fourth and so on) take to another track. That way you can have not only the option to eq the source/track differently, but the natural differences in playing will create a ”bigger” soundscape, that a duplicated track might not.

Reactions: mattchee and dctdct
Thanks! Yes, that is definitely an option, too.

Try this for when NOT connected to a computer:

Move the desired track to be cloned to the Master tracks, either 11, 12 or 11/12, taking care to export what is already there if you want to preserve it.

Next Do a stereo mix export of the master which now contains your target track (NOTE rename the song first if you don’t want to over write previous master export).

Now IMPORT the file back to new empty target track(s).

You now have a clone of the track on both 11/12 and also on the chosen other track!

Even easier, when connected to computer:

just go into Storage mode, navigate on your computer’s file manager to song’s track folder, and use file copy and rename to duplicate the track. As long as you follow the naming convention this will work perfectly when you open the song the next time, and is super easy.

Last edited:
@JSchmo_Bass Great info! Especially about duplicating and re-naming tracks from the computer. I was wondering if that would work, and now I know that it does!

New threads

Members online