Effects heard

Kirk Smith

From
North Liberty Iowa
Gear owned
DP24SD
I will say this dp24 SD is not so intuitive or I just don’t get it. I spent a lot of time over the years on the tascam 988 and that made a whole lot more sense but I know times and technology changes but I seem stuck in the past.
Well anyway after my rant ( sorry) I would like to know how I can listen to the internal effects like reverb and a lot of others on there. I just want to hear them without having to record them to listen and even then I can’t figure that out. I just want to assign a channel and listen to the effects on how they sound. For the life of me I can’t play a reverb to save my life. if someone could help me and put it in terms that this newbie can understand. The manual is pretty vague on a lot of this.
Thank you all for helping me

kirk

Do I find a guitar effect and I can’t get rid of it. I tried to dial in a reverb and all I get is a distorted guitar effect that I cannot change.
Can someone give me an easy crash course in simple steps on how to use these effects.
Thanks so much for the help
kirk

@Kirk Smith please review all of the videos on the DP series. Also please familiarize yourself with the index of each of the pinned, sticky topics. Almost any question can be answered from those resources.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Watch Phil Tipping’s video series!

That said, I will take a guess you might be stuck on the sequence of steps needed to use the internal send effect. This is what got me confused.

Sending a particular track thru the internal Send Effect -a check list.

From the selected track’s mixer screen:

-track’s send effects 1 toggle (in the yellow box) is set to pre or post, *not* Off?

- crank track’s effect Send 1 knob (yellow) to 128

-crank the master send knob (white) to 128 (this is the weird one! a global setting, not specific to an one track!)?

- is send effect of choice, eg reverb, turned ON, and the return cranked to 128

If those 4 things are true you should hear the track’s effected sound on the main bus.

The Master Send knob thing is what stumped me until I watched Phil’s videos and studied the block diagram. Don’t give up - you will get it and it is very nice work flow akin to working on tape once you do get it.

Thank you so much for your encouragement as I do get frustrated. I just don’t understand these digital recording terms a lot and it seems like there are so many steps to set things right. to make everything work.
I have watched some of Phil’s videos and I do wish he had a little simpler version for us very slow learners. again thank you

Watch the videos. Slowly and carefully. Pay close attention to the block diagram. There's no reason to get to the point of frustration. All the answers are there. Start at the beginning and don't advance until you've clearly understood. Phil organized these deliberately. Stick with it.

Thank you David, I know I just need to be patient and review as many times as it takes to turn the light on in my brain to understand it. I’m just really struggling with how the signal path works, never have been good at deciphering diagrams.
thanks again

New threads

Members online