Explain individual effect adjustments

Milkman

Gear owned
Dp24sd
Is there anywhere to get individual effect adjustments explained? Such as Pre Reverb. Or just nuances of the individual settings.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you, I know Phil's tutorials quite well and have the complete video that I highly recommend. But in the video even he says he won't go into specifics about effects because it would take volumes.

Milkman - are you the same person as "Milkman" from VS Planet?

Thank you, I know Phil's tutorials quite well and have the complete video that I highly recommend. But in the video even he says he won't go into specifics about effects because it would take volumes.

Yes, it would take volumes, and that thread is not a tutorial on recording engineering. It's normal to assume that (for example) a guitar player knows how to tune the guitar. At some point we have to assume that a user has a basic understanding of how things work or else it becomes an encyclopedia of recording engineering practices instead of a user manual type tutorial, and nobody has time for that (which explains why those impossible questions like "How do I set the reverb for a good sound?" are largely ignored).

I do sympathize with you wanting to know what each control does, but those things are not specific to Tascam equipment. Controls like Attack and Release on a compressor are standard controls on most compressor/limiters. Reverb adjustments and EQ and other FX are all basically the same.

I am not trying to discourage you though!

I suggest you post some specific questions in the Recording 101 forum and also do some reading on these topics. But, remember: you can't really hurt the machine by turning those knobs and seeing what happens. But, most certainly asking questions is what the Recording 101 forum is for. And, you can even give examples of work you've done and ask for suggestions for improvement. There are some very sharp people on this forum that will be more than happy to help you along the way. The learning process can be a great deal of fun, but it's also very rewarding when you see improvement along the way.

So, by all means, take this as a personal invitation to post some specific questions in the Recording 101 forum. You'll find it right here: https://www.tascamforums.com/forums/recording-101.40/

Reactions: Milkman
Thank you for your response. I definitely have a basic understanding of how these things work but I guess specifically the thing that I was after was what things work well together. For example the effects presets that give you a combination to work with. And possibly along the way discover what a pre delay is. Or like when Phil Tipping explains something and says, "That's what the manual says, but that's not quite true" I imagine all these things are learned through experience.

Oh, for sure. The presets are just a starting point. My TC-Helicon Voice Live Touch 2 has 500 something factory presets. I never use any of them. Ever. I created my own presets just how I like them. You can do that with the DP machines too.

Also, I try not to get too hung up with names. For example, the DP machines call that insert FX block "Guitar Effects" but there is nothing at all stopping you from using those effects for whatever you like. Even though I'm doing mostly rock, sometimes I use tools that are labeled "funk" or "soul", etc.. You get the idea.

Reactions: Milkman

New threads

Members online

No members online now.