From
Palermo, Sicily, Italy
Website
soundcloud.com
Gear owned
DP-24 SD
Hi,
my first post here.
I'm planning to buy a DP-24SD, and I've begun to read the online manual.
There's a thing that's not clear to me, regarding exporting STEREO tracks, I mean from 13/14 to 23/24.

The manual says that only MONO FILES can be exported through the AudioDepot, so...I don't understand, how do I export, for instance, a stereo recording that's on track 13/14? Two single files, one for track 13 and the other for 14, and then remix them in a DAW?

Can only speak for the dp-32sd, but I think they behave the same way - the left & right tracks appear as two separate mono files in the export list. Your DAW may have a function to convert 2 monos to stereo. If not, can either bounce them to stereo on the DAW or just leave them as mono's and pan them left & right.
Make sure you check out the dp-32 before committing - I know it's more money but the ability to switch the stereo tracks to mono may affect the decision. Let us know how you get on.

Right now, since the DP32SD is on sale with many (but not all) retailers in the US, it costs the same as a DP24SD, so I think it’s a no brainer to get the more tracks. Get one while the sale is still on. Even if not, the 20% difference in price for significantly more tracks is negligible.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
To clarify, the DP32 doesn’t really have 32 tracks. It has 20 tracks: 8 mono and 12 stereo tracks. Likewise, the DP24 has 18 tracks: 12 mono and six stereo tracks. The stereo tracks can be treated like mono tracks, but they’re nice to have in stereo for recording modern synths or for printing (recording to a track instead of adding at mixdown) reverb.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
I dont really understand why it is made this way (the "stereo tracks"). I mean there is really no advantage to have a pair of stereo tracks compared to two mono tracks, is there? If you record a mono signal you waste one track, and if yo record a stereo signal you might as well use two mono tracks?

I guess you can bounce two already recorded mono tracks to a stereo pair to free up more mono tracks? And then treat them as two separate mono tracks when mixing, wouldnt that be a possible workaround to really get 24 or 32 tracks (depending on model)?

I havent used any stereo track yet, but since they anyway uses two physical connections/inputs there is still one gain and one lever per channel (?) Maybe the internal effects works on both channels, if that is what you mean.

If you're describing the recording process then yes, it would involve 2 gains (trims) as each pre-amp is mono, although the faders don't affect recording levels. The issue is when playing back and mixing down. A stereo track only has one fader, one set of EQ controls, one send level for each send output, etc. so although it is possible to use a pair of mono tracks, it's harder to control as you'd have to keep everything in sync, e.g. a simple fade moving 2 faders may cause the stereo image to move around if you're not careful. A better example is EQ; the knobs only apply to the one selected track (mono or stereo) at any one time, so keeping these in sync across 2 mono tracks would be impossible.

New threads

Members online